‘Runners fail to capture series over the number one team in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

Sports-softball(will)

In a key Western Athl­etic Conference battle, The UTSA Roadrunners (19-14, 4-2 WAC) failed to capture a series win over the San Jose State Spartans (26-11, 5-1). The ‘Runners took game one 7-6 but dropped the doubleheader on March 30 2-0 and 3-2, respectively. UTSA is now third in the WAC behind the Spartans and New Mexico State.

San Jose State won game one on Saturday behind pitchers Allison Lang and Amanda Pridmore’s combined seven-inning shutout. UTSA collected seven hits but failed to drive in any significant runs. ‘Runners pitcher Alyssa Vordenabum (7-6, 2.41 ERA) went the distance, but an infield RBI single and a wild pitch provided the Spartans the only two runs needed to capture the victory. UTSA’s Darian Blake was 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles and is now hitting .409 in conference play.

In game two, after seven innings UTSA finally scored against SJSU, but it was still not enough to get a win. ‘Runners right fielder Samantha Beeson collected her first home run of the season in the seventh, and Jolene Graham was the only UTSA hitter to get on base twice throughout the game.UTSA starter Haylee Staton (9-5, 2.50 ERA) pitched all seven innings in the loss and is now 2-3 in her last five decisions.

Friday, the Roadrunners were able to avoid a sweep by winning the home opener in a huge comeback victory. Down 6-2 heading into the final frame, UTSA scored five runs and won on WAC hitter of the week, Vivian Tijerina’s two-run single. The ‘Runners achieved their first come from behind victory in late innings action after previously going 0-9 when trailing teams after the sixth inning.

With conference play heating up, UTSA heads back on the road for the next six games.

The road trip begins April 5 against Utah State (5-28, 0-6 WAC) who currently stands last in the WAC.