Contemporary Art Month kicks off with art, drinks and music

Arts-miss cam-mark zavala

On Thursday Feb 28., Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum launched Contemporary Art Month with the CAM Kick-off.
The event began with a ribbon-cutting that opened the newest installment at the Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum to the public. The gallery boasted the works of Gary Sweeny, Lloyd Walsh and Scott Martin.
The event continued through the evening with live music, compliments of Cryin’ DT Buffkin and The Bad Breath playing blues-inspired music. Sponsors, Blue Moon and Pura Vida Tequila served complimentary drinks of sangria and beer on tap to patrons.
Blue Moon also had a beer tasting for a new flavor. Choices included Cranberry Tart Ale, Gingerbread Ale and Chocolate Mint Ale. Delicious food from local food trucks Chili Queen and Say.She.Ate. served red velvet waffles, tacos, duck fat fries and beef sliders.
Also part of the event selection was the crowning of the 2013 Miss Contemporary Art Month Miranda Fermi, artist and blogger. Artist Matt Kubo, whose work is internationally recognized, crowned the new winner in a flamboyant display with confetti.
Gary Sweeney, a local San Antonio artist, explores the use of language with signs and postcards that he has sent to friends over the years. His work takes on new meanings, creating visually striking artwork with humor.
Lloyd Walsh’s “Solo Exhibition” and Scott Martin’s “Brake” are equally as striking visually.
Martin’s work explores a railroad crossing, waiting for a train to pass. Still shots of the railroad crossing are pieced together into a time-lapse film and enlarged to be hung on the wall. Walsh’s thought-provoking paintings are crafted with painstaking detail.
The exhibit at the Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum will be open to the public until Saturday, May 11.
Throughout the entire month, galleries all over San Antonio will be showing local contemporary art. Visit www.contemporaryartmonth.com for a full list of upcoming events.