CAM event calendar

Contemporary Art Month (CAM) is an annual event that takes place every March to showcase San Antonio artists, curators and performers. Contemporary Art Month helps promote San Antonio contemporary art and artists with a celebration during the month of March. Many venues and galleries host special events and programs during CAM, all to the benefit of the art-loving community within San Antonio. Many of the events are free. For more events and information, visit contemporaryartmonth.com.

Thursday, Feb. 28
6 p.m. “CAM Kick-Off at Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum”
Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum (116 Blue Star) presents its CAM Kick-Off celebration with new exhibits featuring artists, Gary Sweeney, Lloyd Walsh and Scott Martin. The reception will begin with a ribbon-cutting at 6 p.m. and will feature live music and food from local food trucks. Admission is free.

Friday, March 1
6 p.m.-8:30 p.m. “San Antonio Museum of Art: A Conversation with the Founders of SAMOMA”
The San Antonio Museum of Arts (W. Jones Ave.) presents an intimate evening with David S. Rubin interviewing SAMOMA (San Antonio Museum of Modern Art) founders, Norman Rene Avila, Donjon Evans and George Homer, who are esteemed artists in the community. The event coincides with the exhibit “Artists of SAMOMA from the SAMA Collection,” which is on display until May 26. Admission is free. For more information visit sama.org.

Saturday, March 2
6 p.m. Exhibit: “Machas and Trannies y Queers OH MY!”
Casa de Cultura La Victoria (217 Castillo) presents work from various artists who reside in the east and west coast of Mexico. The exhibit features work from Adriana Garcia, Margo Rivera-Weiss and others and highlights the themes of sexuality. Admission is free.

Sunday, March 3
Noon-5 p.m. “2013 McNay Print Fair”
The McNay Art Museum (6000 N. New Braunfels) presents its annual Print Fair with works from Texan artists. Artwork from all around the country will be on display with some being available for sale. Guests can expect to see drawings, watercolors and photographs. Avid art collectors and first-timers can find any piece to fit their budget. The event is free with museum entrance.

Monday, March 4
Noon “Artist Talks: H. Jennings Sheffeld and Gissette Padilla”
San Antonio College (1300 San Pedro Ave.) brings work from H. Jennings Sheffield and Gissette Padilla to its Visual Arts Center. Both artists reflect on the theme of memory and the stages of memory from child to adulthood. For more information, call 210-486-1042.

Tuesday, March 5
5 p.m. UTSA College of Architecture Presents: “One City”
Pasa Studio (400 N. Saint Mary’s) presents work from the Graduate Students of UTSA College of Architecture Design Studio. The event, which is curated by Dr. Antonio Petrov, Assistant Professor of Architecture at UTSA, looks at the project “Public Space, Public Transit, Public Art,” by UTSA graduate students.

Wednesday, March 6
6:30 p.m. Exhibit: “The Olvidate del Alamo ‘Untold Stories’”
Salud: The Ultimate Coffee and Tequila Bar (8123 Broadway) presents work from artists Raul Servin, Robert Wilkens, Oscar Galvan and others on the history of the Alamo through the eyes of Mexican residents.

Thursday, March 7
7 p.m. Exhibit: “FUTURE OF THE FUTURE”
PLAZMO Contemporary (1101 West Woodlawn) presents “FUTURE OF THE FUTURE,” an exhibit from Louie Chavez that focuses on the theme of fashion trends throughout the decades.

Friday, March 8
6 p.m. “Experience the Arts in La Villita”
The Historic La Villita Arts Village presents numerous exhibit openings as part of its “Experience the Arts in La Villita” event. The openings feature work from Karen Baize, Tom Hicks, Barbra Riley and others. Fore more information on openings and events, visit lavillita.com.

Saturday, March 9
7 p.m. “Luminaria”
The sixth annual Luminaria will feature work in all mediums including Visual, Theatre, Music and Dance. The event will be held at Hemisfair Park with free admission.

Sunday, March 10
3 p.m. Closing Reception for “Judith Cottrell: It’s Yellow”
Judith Cottrell’s “It’s Yellow” show at Sala Diaz Gallery (517 Stieren) features images of the human psyche. Admission is free. For more information, visit saladiazart.org.

3 p.m. Theater: “Birth”
Jump-Start Performance Co. (108 Blue Star) presents “Birth,” a play by Karen Broday. The play consists of first-person monologues and dialogues. “Birth” will be followed by a community talk with local maternity care providers. All proceeds will go to San Antonio Birth Doulas (SABD), a local program of Catholic Charities. Admission is $20.

Wednesday, March 13
6 p.m. Exhibit: “Meditations on Paper”
AnArte Gallery (7959 Broadway Suite 404) presents “Meditations on Paper,” a gallery featuring works by artists Russell Stephenson and Steven DaLuz. The artwork will feature abstract sketches done by both artists. Admission is free.

Thursday, March 14
6 p.m. Exhibit: “Delicious and Sweet”
Lily’s Cookies (2716 McCullough) hosts “Delicious and Sweet: Fourth Annual Cookie Jar Exhibition.” The exhibit features cookie jars designed by various local artists. Admission is free.

6:30 p.m. Exhibit: “Backstage at the McNay: Cornyation”
The McNay Art Museum (6000 N. New Braunfels Ave.) and Amy Stone presents “Cornyation: The Early Years of Fiesta Irreverence, 1951-1964,” as part of the museum’s “Backstage at the McNay” program. Stone will present photographs depicting Cornyation’s history and its impact and influence in today’s Fiesta celebrations. Admission is free.

Friday, March 15
5 p.m. Exhibit: “Contemporary at the Coppini, Floral Portraits”
Coppini Academy of Fine Arts (114 Melrose Pl. Elizabeth de Barbieri Gallery) presents “Contemporary at the Coppini,” artwork by artist Vikki Fields. Presented by the artist, works featured are solely contemporary floral portraits. Admission is free.

6 p.m. Exhibit: “Bike Like a Kitty”
Guadalupe Gallery (723 S. Brazos St.) presents “Bike Like a Kitty,” an annual group show featuring five San Antonio artists. The show is curated by Bill Arning, the Executive Director of the Contemporary Art Museum Houston, with music provided by DJ Mike. Wine and food sponsored by Blue Moon Beer and The Chili Queens. Admission is free.

6 p.m. “ Artist-Run Spaces in San Antonio Today”
The San Antonio Museum of Art (200 West Jones Ave.) hosts “Artist-Run Spaces in San Antonio Today” as part of its “Artists Take Initiative” educational program. Curator David S. Rubin will interview four artists who run local venues in San Antonio. Those being interviewed include Kimberly Aubuchon (Unit B), Rex Hausmann (Hausmann Millworks), Luis Lopez (La Casa Rosa) and Justin Parr (Fl!ght). Admission is $5-$10.

6 p.m. Exhibit: “Something Old, Something New”
Equinox Gallery (418 Villita St. Bldg. 4) presents “Something Old, Something New,” jewelry by local artist Laura Wood. Wood is currently the curator and manager of Equinox Gallery, and will be available to meet and greet patrons. Admission is free.

La Villita Merchants Association presents “Experience the Arts in La Villita,” hosted at the Historic La Villita Arts Village (418 Villita Alamo). The event is part of a month-long celebration of Contemporary Arts Month and invites art-lovers to come downtown and enjoy the History La Villita Arts Village. Admission is free.

6 p.m. Exhibit: “An Evening of Experimental Improvisation…”
High Wire Arts Gallery (326 W. Josephine) presents “An Evening of Experimental Improvisation, Home Brew, and Very Good Foods,” as part of the gallery’s “High Wire Extravaganzas.” Artists include “National Parks” and “One of the Mahatmas.” Short films will also be presented. Food and drink provi
ded by High Wire Pico Brewery and Tap Room. Admission is free.

Saturday, March 16
10 a.m. Event: “Native San Antonio!”
The Land Heritage Institute (1349 Neal Road) presents “Event San Antonio! A Celebration of All Things Native to San Antonio,” an event celebrating San Antonian culture. Various activities will be available – many of which are family-friendly – including a solar cooking demonstration and a farm-animal petting zoo. Admission is free.

12 p.m. Exhibit: “Golden Years”
Epitome Institute (222 Roosevelt Ave) presents “Golden Years,” an exhibit featuring works by artist, Andrea Caillouet. The artwork featured was created using jewelry and clothing from Caillouet’s late grandmother. Admission is free.

6:30 p.m. Exhibit: “Triple Threat”
Unit B Gallery (500 Stieren St.) presents “Triple Threat,” an exhibition featuring work by Arianne Roesch, Emily Stone and Kaneem Smith. This exhibit is part of CAM’s exchange exhibition, which brings in exhibits and artists from other cities once a year. Admission is free.

Sunday, March 17:
12-8 p.m.
Blue Star Arts Complex (117 Blue Star Arts Complex Suite 1) will host Bryson Brooks and Holly Hein’s Open Studio Extravaganza on March 16-17.

4-5 p.m.
Coppini Academy of Fine Arts (115 Melrose Pl. Elizabeth de Barbieri Gallery) will host Vikki Fields’ floral portraits by currator Nancy Kempf. Admission is also available by appointment, 494-6205.

Wednesday, March 20:
6-8 pm.
The UTSA Art Gallery will present art from all media by UTSA Art students curated by Riley Robinson, artist and studio director at Artpace.

6:30-9:30 p.m.
Curators Patrice Villastrigo and Clari Feuerbacher present Salt of the Earth, an exhibit featuring many local artists with mediums including paint, sculpture, jewelry and photography. The event takes place at The Jackson Ranch (8910 Callaghan Rd).

Thursday, March 21:
5:30-9.m.
MockingBird Handprints (1420 S. Alamo #103) presents artists Jane Bishop and Paula Cox in their exhibit The Chair Show which features hand-dyed and printed fabric chairs.

6-9:30 p.m.
Long Hall Gallery (618 W. Craig) will feature new works from Vie Dunn Harr-Visage, Russell Stephenson and Anthony A. Gonzalez.

Friday, March 22;
4-6 p.m.
The UTSA Advanced Visualization Laboratory (MS 1.03.06) will present Austin artist Francesca Samsel, El Paso environmental science engineer Aline Jaimes and the UTSA VizLab team with a first-look presentation of the VizLab applied to the arts.

4-8 p.m.
Curator Ken Little will present an exhibition and open house at The Ceramics and Sculpture Graduate Studios at UTSA. Artists Ken Little, Ovidio Giberga and Greg Elliott will be shown.

8-11 p.m.
Wolverton Home Concerts will host work from Demitasse (Erik Sanden and Joe Reyes). Reservations are limited and cover is $10 per person. Refreshments provided by Blue Moon.

Saturday, March 23:
9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Land Heritage Institute (1349 Neal Road) will host the 3rd LHI Art-Sci Symposium: Why Art-Sci? Analyzing a Paradigm. The event will explore arts and technology with presenters and artists. Free but registration is required.

1-4:30 p.m.
Artpace San Antonio (445 N. Main Avenue) will host family day with artist-led tours and workshops for families. Music, food and educational creation stations will also be available. Free and open to the public.

7-11 pm.
Sala Diaz (517 Stieren) will present artist Kate Terrell’s exhibit Strong Winds. Terrell’s work includes a piece recorded on her phone with two keyboards, an old organ and hand percussion which is shown on a screen.

Sunday, March 24:
12-4 p.m.
Hello Studio (1020 Roosevelt Ave) will present artist and Hello Studio founder and director Amada Miller. The exhibition will show Miller’s love for type and design.

12-4 p.m.
Historic La Villita Arts Village (Bldg. 14B) will present contemporary paintings by resident artist Debra Benditz.

Thursday, March 28:
7-11 p.m.
PLAZMO Contemporary (1101 w.Woodlawn) will present Moral Sense, new works by James Supa Medrano. Medrano explores the contrast between good and bad or right and wrong in his work.

Friday, March 29:
6-9 p.m.
Curator Laura Wood presents artist Dyan Green’s exhibit Rust and White at Equinox Gallery (418 Villita Street). Green’s works are a combination of family artifacts embellished with pins.

7-10 p.m.
The McNay Art Museum with Lance Letcher will present Free Teen Night: Art After Dark. High school students are encouraged to bring picnic supplies to make collaborative sculptures and Intsagram bizarre subjects. The event includes food and music.

Saturday, March 30:
7:30-11 p.m.
OZ-Modern (207 E Hildebrand) will present artists Ribert Tatum, Adrian Herrera, Paco Felici and Joshua Perez in Art in the Land of OZ.

Sunday, March 31:
11 a.m.-7 p.m.
Franco Mondini-Ruiz’s studio (2710 Leal Street) presents Paintings, Prosecco and Peacocks by artist Franco Mondini-Ruiz.