Man Overboard brings its pop-punk vibe to Backstage Live

Man Overboard are finally returning to the Alamo city.

Man Overboard (MO) is composed of five members—Zac Eisenstein, Nik Bruzzese, Justin Collier, Wayne Wildrick and Raitis Freimanis. Man Overboard has toured all around the country with veteran pop-punk bands like New Found Glory and Taking Back Sunday.

The group follows the pop-punk genre, which is a combination of post-hardcore and punk influences with often catchy and uplifting lyrics. Justin Collier, guitar player, says that, to him, pop-punk is “music that can fit to any type of mood.”

“There’s a lot of different music you can relate to,” says Collier, “there’s sad songs and happy songs; it just depends on your mood.”

The band’s signature logo features a shotgun with the words “Defend Pop-Punk” overlapping the weapon. Collier says that the logo was originally meant to be a simple t-shirt design, but after a huge following ensued, the popular slogan became a part of the band’s image. “People got attached to it so we made a little more out of it,” says Collier.

Founded in 2008, Man Overboard has been featured as part of the “Tell All Your Friends 10-year Anniversary” tour in 2012 with Taking Back Sunday and last summer’s Vans Warped Tour. In fall 2011, MO was featured on the “Pop-Punk’s Not Dead” Tour with New Found Glory, Set Your Goals, The Wonder Years and This Time Next Year. After touring with Taking Back Sunday, Collier says, “It was amazing; they’re a band we’ve looked up to for a long time.”

The band’s first studio album “Real Talk” was released in 2010 and features the songs “Fantasy Girl,” “Montrose” and “World Favorite.”

Lately, the band has been busy writing their third studio album “Heart Attack” along with a documentary on the recording process. Collier says that fans can expect a “progression from the other records with a little more mature sound.” On MO’s new video documentary titled “The Lost Tape Collective Holiday Show with Man Overboard,” Collier says, “It shows the general ethos and vibe of Man Overboard—pretty much everything we believe in.”

“Lost Tape Collective” features footage of the band’s past tour and their time in the studio. The 15-minute short film can be viewed exclusively at propertyofzach.com.

Man Overboard will be headlining the “Supply Nation Tour” at Backstage Live on March 10. The tour includes acts from The Story So Far, another known pop-punk band and newcomers Tonight Alive and Citizen.

Later this summer, the band will be making a pit-stop in San Antonio for the Vans Warped Tour on Aug. 3.

Man Overboard’s new album “Heart Attack” will be released on May 28. For more information on the band, visit their website at defendpoppunk.com.