Missions split first two games with Midland

Jeudy-valdez4-5

The San Antonio Missions returned to Wolff Stadium on April 18 after a six game road trip where they lost they lost four games out of six to the Tulsa Drillers and the Springfield Cardinals.

The Missions returned home to face the Midland Rockhounds.

In Game 1 against Midland, April 18, the Missions bad luck continued. In the top of the second inning the Rockhounds scored two runs. In the bottom of the fifth inning, the Missions had a man on third and second base with one out but were only able to score one run during the favorable situation. The Missions tried to rally in the bottom of the eighth when they had a man on second and third base but they could not find a way to bring the runners home. Rockhounds’ pitcher Jeff Ibarra came in during the ninth inning, recorded three straight outs and secured a 2-1 victory for the Rockhounds.

In Game 2, April 19, the Missions offense was able to catch fire and tied the series at one game apiece. The Missions scored 10 runs on 13 hits. The Missions offense started producing early, in the first inning they were able to score three runs. The Missions added two runs in the bottom of the fifth and then exploded for five runs in the eighth inning to ensure a 10-0 victory over Midland.

Jeff Blackwood was the offensive star in the game he went 4 for 5 and had 3 RBIs. Blackwood said that his “timing felt out of sync, but I was able to scratch out a couple hits. It’s nice to have days like this when you don’t necessarily feel the best. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.”

Missions starting pitcher Matt Andriese struck out five batters and only allowed three hits in five innings of work. “I wanted to come here and get started on a good note,” Andriese said. “It builds confidence. Getting three runs early on helped. It lets you pitch how you want. You’re not afraid to give up runs.”

Missions’ relievers Chris Rearick, Jeremy McBryde, Matt Stites, and Kevin Quackenbusch pitched a combined four innings of one-hit ball and struck out five batters.

The Missions (7-7) look to continue their offensive success in Game 3, Saturday April 20.