UTSA nearing announcement of new head basketball coach

Image

The UTSA men’s basketball program’s search for a new head coach could be over soon. UTSA Athletic Director Lynn Hickey says that her goal is to have a new coach at the helm by the middle to the end of next week.

Brooks Thompson, an assistant coach from Arizona State University, became the first coaching candidate to receive an official interview with UTSA on Monday.

“It was terrific. What a beautiful campus and a beautiful place,” Thompson said.

Hickey said two other candidates will be on campus Tuesday and Thursday to make their own visits.

As a player, Thompson played in three NCAA tournaments at Oklahoma State from 1992-1994. Thompson was a first round draft pick of the Orlando Magic in 1994 and also played for the Utah Jazz, Denver Nuggets, Phoenix Suns, New York Knicks and retired in 1998.

Thompson has been with Arizona State since April of 2004. Arizona State finished 11-17 this season and 5-13 in the Pac-10 Conference.

”They’ve [UTSA] got everything in place to be very successful,” Thompson said.

An internet report last week had former Texas A&M coach Melvin Watkins possibly taking the UTSA job. Hickey, however, reports there were never talks between the two regarding the vacant position, but she did consult Watkins on another potential candidate, UNC-Charlotte assistant coach Bobby Kummer. Kummer did not return phone calls.

”We’ve had conversations with lots of people,” Hickey said.

Hickey also went on to say that no candidate has been interviewed yet for the position.

UTSA Associate Athletic Director for Business and Facility Operations Ross Cobb said that 41 candidates have officially applied for the vacant position. Another known applicant current interim head coach Dionne Phelps.

The candidates will meet with a senior staff of administrators within the athletic department, members of the Roadrunner Club, President Ricardo Romo and Provost Rosalie Ambrosino. From that point, Hickey will give the athletic department’s recommendation to President Romo.