Roadrunners volleyball team battles, but Gators win all three sets

Dsc 0670

Photo Credit: Gabrielle Pincomb/The Paisano

On Thursday, Sept. 5, the No. 8 ranked volleyball team in the nation the Florida Gators defeated the UTSA Roadrunners 3-0 (25-18, 25-17, 25-20) at the Convocation Center in the opening day of the UTSA Classic Volleyball Tournament.

UTSA outside hitter McKenzie Adams paced the Roadrunners with a match-leading 13 kills and 10 digs in the losses.

“Not going to take anything away from them (Florida) but, I thought we held our own,” Adams said.

In the first set, the Roadrunners and Gators traded leads to a 9-all tie, until the Gators went on a 7-2 run forcing a UTSA timeout. Following the timeout, the Gators continued to create some separation from the Roadrunners. UTSA rallied with Florida at match point, scoring three straight points to cut the lead to 24-18. But the Gators held off the Roadrunners for the 25-18 win.

UTSA started the second set on fire taking an early 8-5 lead over Florida. But consistent errors helped the Gators tie the game at 10-all. Florida finished by going on a 15 -7 run led by Gators setter Taylor Brauneis who contributed 25 assists, seven digs and two kills in the victories. The Roadrunners committed 12 errors in the 25-17 loss.

With the Roadrunners in a 2-0 deficit, they began the third set with a quick 5-2 lead. But the trend of Gators’ rallies continued, and UTSA lost 25-20 in the closest match of the day.

UTSA Head Coach Laura Goff summed up the game the best stating, “They (Florida) didn’t make errors, they kept coming at us, and they usually won every rally. When you are playing against a team like that you have to win rallies to keep momentum on your side.”

The Roadrunners continue the UTSA Classic with play against Loyola Marymount on Friday at 12 p.m., then at 7 p.m. against Texas A&M.