Sorpions drop fifth straight game

Sports scorpions lindsay-19

Photo Credit: Lindsay Smith/The Paisano

With new coach Alen Marcina making his debut, the San Antonio Scorpions were hoping a change at the top would lead to a different result on the field. Instead, a case of painful déjà vu played itself out on Saturday night, Aug. 31, as the Scorpions fell due to another disappointing stoppage time goal to the Minnesota United FC, 3-2.

The opening goal of the match was netted off a brilliant shot by midfielder Walter Ramirez, who snugly placed the ball in the upper right corner of the goal in the 14th minute of the first half.

The Scorpions took advantage of opportunities rather than out playing Minnesota. But Minnesota regained the lead in the 50th minute thanks to Pablo Campos’ second goal of the game. Things quickly went from bad to worse as Scorpions midfielder Jeff Jennings was given a red card in the 56th minute, leaving the Scorpions to play a man short for the rest of a game.

The red card was a product of a game that had been hyper physical and at times seemed to be out of control. Several altercations took place aided by the bad blood that remains between the Scorpions and former player Campos. Campos’ two goals seemed to be one of the game’s primary catalysts for the rough play between the teams.

Despite the physical play and being down a man, a 77th minute goal from Scorpion Thomas Zahorski equalized the game at 2-2. Heading into five minutes of awarded stoppage time, the game seemed like it was certainly heading for a draw.

In the last 30 seconds of stoppage time, United was awarded a corner kick and defender Connor Tobin put the ball just across the line, giving Minnesota the go ahead goal.

Another altercation took place after the game between Scorpions player Kevin Harmse and Campos. After several minutes the players dispersed to their locker rooms.

The Scorpions are now 0-5 and will play their next two games on the road. Coach Marcina while disappointed in the result did not consider the night to be a total loss.

“I’m proud of our guys. They fought hard out there tonight,” Marcina said.

San Antonio heads back on the road to face the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers on Saturday, Sept. 7 at 6:30 p.m.