Bias displays talent on nation stage

Photo Credit: Vince Cardenas

It’s rare for a wide receiver to score three touchdowns in one game. It’s even more rare for a wide receiver to score three touchdowns in one game against the Oklahoma State Cowboys. But that is precisely what sophomore and Stevens High School alum Kenny Bias did last Saturday in the Alamodome.

Out of the UTSA record-setting 504 total yards, Bias accounted for 120 yards — all on only 5 touches (three receptions and two rushing).

The air and ground attack Bias showed against even the tough Cowboys’ defense was remarkable and shows the development he has gone through since his freshman season.

“Kenny is a very talented athlete. He has improved his speed, and I think he has matured a lot from a year ago,” UTSA Head Coach Larry Coker said. “When you are successful, you develop a confidence and I think that is where he is right now.”

Down 7-0 early, UTSA called Bias’ number for a rushing play that resulted in two firsts for both teams — the first touchdown the Cowboys had given up so far this season, and Bias’ first career rushing score. But that was only the beginning.

In the fourth quarter, UTSA quarterback Eric Soza connected with Bias on a 19-yard touchdown pass. For an encore, Soza found Bias once more, but this time for a 67-yard bomb — the second longest touchdown pass in UTSA’s history. Bias does not want to call this a “breakout game.” His confidence is there and he has a belief that a win is what really matters because it means praise for his teammates and not just himself.

“I’m not really fond of one game,” Bias said. “I don’t even think about that. I’m still thinking about our loss.” There is more work to do for Bias moving forward. Making sure his technique and ability to hold onto the ball is something he believes will make him a complete receiver. It helps that Soza has developed a trust in Bias. “We knew what we had at the beginning a couple of seasons ago,” Soza said. “He has great hands and great speed. I trust in his abilities. I know that if I throw the ball he is going to go up there and get it. If one drop’s going to happen in the game that’s okay, I still go over to him and say ‘Hey, I’m still looking your way. Don’t worry about it.’”

Heading into the road game against the Arizona Wildcats, there may be a new phrase catching on. Following Bias’ 67-yard catch, broadcasters were heard exclaiming, “He just ran right Bias.”

After the game Bias’ father told him, “the name Kenny Bias is rather fitting for you,” Bias said laughing.