UTSA Rowdy Rush tradition begins

Photo Credit: Vince Cardenas

A new tradition, known as Rowdy Rush, was introduced on Saturday, Sept. 7 at the UTSA versus Oklahoma State game, when the graduating class of 2017 led the Roadrunner football team onto the Alamodome field.

Students who participated in the new tradition got the UTSA fans rowdy by wearing with their projected graduating year on the back. Members of the 2017 class rushed out of the tunnel with the band and sat in special sections so they could cheer their fellow Roadrunners to success.

Students who could not participate in the event felt the spirit coming from the Rowdy Rush Crew. But the atmosphere of the Roadrunners hosting the No. 13 ranked Cowboys and the excitement of the freshman class running onto the field made this a game to remember for many UTSA students.

“Seeing this crew run out like there’s no tomorrow really got me pumped. I heard so much about the Rowdy Rush. I just had to come out and see what it was all about, and I must say they definitely looked like they had a lot of fun. This is going to be a good season for our football team,” sophomore Nathan Tinsley said.

Freshmen loved sharing the tradition with fellow classmates.

“It was fun and exciting. This was the first football game I’ve ever been to besides high school, and it was cool to watch the fireworks and smoke from up close,” freshman Tristan Bryson said. “The fireworks left a really stinky smell, but everyone was hyped and it was a really fun moment.”