UTSA Welcomes Actors from the London Stage

Arts(othello)-janae

Courtesy Photo

The UTSA Department of English and The UTSA Friends of Shakespeare will welcome the Actors from the London Stage as a part of their American university tour to perform Shakespeare’s “Othello.”

Performances will be on Sept. 25, 27 and 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the Arts Building Recital Hall on the UTSA Main Campus.

“Most students have read Shakespeare in high school or college, and this gives them an important perspective on those plays,” says Dr. Mark Bayer, professor and English department chair. “Shakespeare wrote these plays to be performed, but today we read them and miss that crucial intention.”

Actors Jude Akuwudike, Richard Neale, Jan Shepherd, Jack Whitam and Alinka Wright will perform multiple roles in “Othello” and visit classes. The actors direct themselves and work with minimal costumes and scenery in their performances. They have visited classes in the past, giving a unique experience to students in the realms of acting, poetry and literature.

“They like to perform and like to get students performing,” says Bayer.

This year will be the theater company’s twenty-seventh visit to UTSA since 1988.

Tickets for “Othello” can be purchased online from the English department’s website. Student tickets are $10 with an I.D. while general admission is $18. Any unsold tickets will be available at the door. All seats are reserved,- so buy group tickets together. Tickets may be purchased at colfa.utsa.edu/english/shakespeare. For more information contact Mark Bayer at [email protected].