Game Blog: Houston Cougars (3-0) vs. UTSA Roadrunners (2-2)

mg 3562

Photo Credit: Vicente Cardenas and Rafael Gutierrez/The Paisano

Follow our blog (The Blue and Orange Report) and Twitter account (@paisanosports1) for quarter-to-quarter game updates, including scores, stats and injuries

Pregame

UTSA announced safety Michael Egwuagu is out with a shoulder injury, and defensive end Codie Brooks is out with a concussion.

First Quarter: UTSA (7) — Houston (7)

Life was good in the opening drive for the Roadrunners. Eric Soza led a 12 play, 81-yard drive, resulting in a 12-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Kam Jones. The series took up over six minutes of clock, typical of a UTSA drive.

Houston’s offense stuttered in their opening drive until quarterback John O’Korn hit wide receiver Deontay Greenberry for a 42-yard pass. The Roadrunners were able to hold the Cougars scoreless on the drive when they forced an incomplete pass on fourth down.

UTSA got into trouble late in the first quarter when corner back Andre Brown was called for a 15-yard pass interference. The Cougars capitalized with a 15-yard touchdown pass to running back Ryan Jackson to tie the game at 7-all.

Key First Quarter UTSA Stats:

UTSA time of possession was 9:57.

Soza 5-for-7, 64-yards passing, one score.

Kam Jones two catches for 40-yards and a touchdown.

Second Quarter: UTSA (21) — Houston (21)

The second quarter turned into an “anything you can do, I can do better” game as both UTSA and Houston scored 14 points.

The Cougars struck first with a six-yard touchdown run from backup quarterback Greg Ward Jr. to give Houston their first lead of the game at 14-7.

The Roadrunners quickly answered with 14-play, 75-yard drive capped by a one-yard quarterback sneak from Soza to tie the game at 14-all.

Houston scored their second touchdown of the quarter on a seven-yard strike from O’Korn to wide receiver Xavier Maxwell that put the Cougars in the lead 21-14. Houston was aided by two big penalties from UTSA — a 15-yard roughing the passer call on defensive end Will Ritter, and 15-yard pass interference call on safety Triston Wade.

But the Roadrunners remained poised and drove the ball 75-yards in just 1:12 to tie the game at 21-all when Soza hit wide receiver Earon Holmes for a six-yard score.

Key Second Quarter UTSA Stats:

Holmes’ second quarter score was his first of the season.

UTSA has three penalties for 45-yards, all resulting on drives that lead to a touchdown.

Soza had three touchdowns in the first half alone (two passing, one rushing).

Third Quarter: UTSA (28) — Houston (31)

The third quarter took some strange turns. Both teams punted on their first possessions, and it wasn’t until the 7:22 mark of the quarter that the Cougars scored on a field goal to break the tie, 24-21.

On the following drive, UTSA was poised to score on the Cougars’ 12-yard line when the Roadrunners ran a trick play that failed on receiver Kam Jones’ short pass to Soza that was incomplete.

Unable to get in the end zone, UTSA attempted a 29-yard field goal that was blocked by Cougars defensive tackle B.J. Singleton and returned for a touchdown by defensive back Brandon Wilson that put Houston up 31-21.

The Roadrunners managed to get back in the game on a five-play, 75-yard touchdown drive. David Glasco II pushed his way into the Cougars’ defense and cut the lead to 31-28.

Key Third Quarter UTSA Stats:

The blocked field goal kick was the first one this season against UTSA.

Glasco II scored his fifth touchdown of the season.

Triston Wade led the team with six tackles in the quarter.

Fourth Quarter: UTSA (28) — Houston (59)

Things escalated quickly in the fourth quarter as Houston outscored UTSA 28-0 to seal a 31-point victory on the road.

Most telling is the turnover issues that continue for UTSA. Out of six fourth quarter possessions for UTSA, five resulted in either an interception or fumble. UTSA kneeled down the ball on the sixth and final possession of the game.

That has to be the worst fourth quarter performance of UTSA has had in its short three year existence. To make matters worse, the Roadrunners defense again failed to force a turnover for the second straight game.

Key Fourth Quarter UTSA Stats:

Soza had three interceptions in the game — all in the fourth quarter.

UTSA won the total yards category over Houston (493 to 491).

UTSA allowed over 55 points for the second time this season (previously allowed 56 to OSU).

Final Summary

UTSA had plenty of opportunities to win this game. The Roadrunners’ offense played well again but missed multiple opportunities in the second half to take the lead. The two plays that will keep Head Coach Larry Coker sleepless at nights has to be the incomplete pass from Jones to Soza that looked like automatic six points, and the 29-yard blocked field goal that followed, resulting in a return touchdown for the Cougars and a double-digit lead.

UTSA will try their luck again on the road against the Marshall Thundering Herd (2-2), who will be coming off of a bye week.