Wolves leave Rampage disappointed on opening night

dsc0021

Photo Credit: Vicente Cardenas/The Paisano

Rampage head coach Peter Horacheck was hoping his home debut would end in a victory. Instead, the Chicago Wolves (1-0-0-0) beat the San Antonio Rampage (0-1-0-0) 2-0 in front of the 5,651 fans who filled the AT&T Center for the first home game of the 2013-14 AHL season.

Whether it was rust or first game jitters, the Rampage could not get the puck past Wolves’ goalie Jake Allen who stopped 41-of-42 shots.

Down two goals in the third period, the Rampage nearly made a comeback when defensemen Colby Robak netted the first goal of the season on a power-play at the midway point of the third period. The Rampage had a flurry of shots denied by Allen in the final seconds of the game, resulting in the loss.

“He (Allen) is an NHL goalie and it showed last year,” Robak said after the game. “It definitely showed tonight.”

The Rampage offense was not at a loss for shots as they totaled 42 for the game in comparison to the Wolves’ 23. But a lack of energy in the first and second period allowed Chicago to get a lead with a goal in each period.

“We have to play sixty-minute hockey games,” Horacheck said. “We have to be prepared from the beginning to the end. That’s the consistency thing I’m looking for and the mental toughness part that I’m looking for.”

The Wolves got on the board just 3:19 into the game when center Corey Locke scored on an assist by right wing Michael Davies and defenseman Brent Regner. In the second period the Wolves wasted no time as left wing Dmitrji Jaskin stole a Rampage pass and turned it into a goal, putting Chicago ahead 2-0.

Playing in their 12th AHL season in San Antonio, the Rampage are now 8-4 in season openers with the loss.

The Rockford IceHogs will enter the AT&T Center on Saturday, Oct. 5 to try and keep the Rampage winless. The game time is set for 7 p.m.