Game Blog: UAB Blazers (2-4) vs. UTSA Roadrunners (2-5)

081

Photo Credit: Kirk Florendo and Vicente Cardenas/ The Paisano

Follow our blog (The Blue and Orange Report) and Twitter account (@paisanosports1) for quarter-to-quarter game updates, including scores, stats, and injuries

First Quarter: UAB (0) UTSA (24)

The Roadrunners kicked things off very quickly against the Blazers. UTSA scored on their opening nine-play, 77-yard drive. When UAB had the ball on the next possession, UTSA defensive end Cody Rogers sacked UAB quarterback Austin Brown for a riveting defensive play. UAB was able to convert for a first down with a long 15-yard pass, but the very next play was intercepted by UTSA safety Nic Johnston, who returned the interception for 13-yards. UTSA capitalized on the turnover, and put together a five-play, 33-yard drive to make the score 14-0. The Blazers started their next drive with good energy and focus, with a 25-yard pass on their first play. The very next play was a 13-yard rush, and the Blazers looked to be pushing for a score. However a five-yard penalty forced them into a 3rd and 15 situation, and UTSA defensive end Robert Singletary sacked UAB’s quarterback Brown and forced a fumble. UAB recovered and punted on 4th and 27. UTSA rattled off a 12-play, 78-yard drive that they capped with a 30-yard field goal by Sean Ianno. On the ensuing kick-off return, UAB kick returner Darius Powell was tackled by UTSA safety Nic Johnston. The ball was forced out by Johnston and recovered by UTSA cornerback Crosby Adams who returned it for a 16-yard touchdown.

The Roadrunners were red hot, and rolling on all cylinders to end the quarter.

Key First Quarter UTSA Stats:

UTSA time of possession was 11:07 for the quarter.
    UTSA had 140 total rush yards for the quarter.
    Brandon Armstrong had 50 yards and 1 touchdown on the ground for the quarter, while David Glasco III had 58 yards.

Second Quarter: UAB (10) UTSA (38)
    UTSA kept much of the same energy for the second quarter. The Roadrunners continued to play strong defensively, and held the Blazers to a field goal on their opening drive to start the second quarter. The field goal was from 50-yards and came after a third down sack by UTSA linebacker Steven Kurfehs. The Roadrunners would score on their next drive with Soza completing a 17-yard pass to Earon Holmes for the touchdown. UAB would finally get a touchdown of their own on their next possession, as Blazer’s quarterback Jonathan Perry made a 21-yard pass to running back Darrin Reaves for the score. The Roadrunners quickly answered back as Kam Jones capped of a six-play, 75-yard drive with a 27-yard rushing touchdown for his second score of the game to make it 38-10.

Key Second Quarter UTSA Stats:
    UTSA has 219 rush yards in totaly for the half.
    Kam Jones has 2 rushing touchdowns for the half.
    UTSA has 17:37 of possession.
    UTSA has 3 sacks for the half.

Third Quarter: UAB (17) UTSA (45)
    The third quarter didn’t have nearly as much scoring as the first half. UTSA punted for the first time in the game, but managed to put together a four-play, 60-yard drive for a score. The drive was highlighted with a gorgeous 51-yard pass from Soza to wide reciever Kenny Bias. UTSA running back hammered home the drive with a 10-yard touchdown run. UAB was able to muster up a 12-play, 74-yard drive for a touchdown to put up their second touchdown of the game, but the game has long been out of reach for the Blazers.

Key Third Quarter UTSA Stats:
    Eric Soza is 11-17 with 171 yards and a touchdown.
    Crosby Adams III picked one off in the third quarter and now has an interception, a fumble recovery, and a defensive touchdown.

Fourth Quarter: UAB (31) UTSA (52)
    UTSA opened up the quarter strong with a deep 51-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Armstrong from Soza. The Roadrunners didn’t finish off the Blazers with strong note by any means; allowing UAB to pull two touchdowns back and bring the score to 31-52. UTSA used the last few minutes wisely though to end the game, running the clock out and bringing an end to this entertaining matchup.

Key Fourth Quarter UTSA Stats:

The Roadrunners were 4 points away from tying their school record of 56 points.
    UTSA finished the game with 248 rushing yards, and 523 total yards of offense.

Final Summary:

The Roadrunners started the game off well, executing their game plan to perfection. Because of their superb start, they managed to have a cushion to play on the rest of the game. Against stronger opposition, they wont be able to tail off their play and get away with it this easily. The Roadrunners excelled in the takeaway department this game and had three in total, with 1 fumble recovery and 2 interceptions. Overall UTSA played well and will hope to continue this form as they take on The Golden Hurricane in Tulsa next week at 2:30 p.m.