Local calendar of events for the week of 10-29-13

Tuesday, October 29

8:00 p.m. Music: Taking Back Sunday

Led by singer Spencer Chamberlain (ex-Underoath frontman), Taking Back Sunday completes the final leg of their fall tour at The White Rabbit (2410 N. St. Mary’s) to promote their new album. Opening acts of the evening are Polar Bear Club and Transit. Admission starts at $32.45. For more information, visit sawhiterabbit.com.

Wednesday, October 30

7:30 p.m. Music: Straight No Chaser

Straight No Chaser will be performing at the Majestic Theatre (224 E. Houston) and bringing their own humorous spin on the typically straight-laced, refined nature of a capella. They are promoting their new album “Under the Influence,” their fourth studio album from Atlantic Records. Admission is $29.50-$44.50.

Thursday, October 31

6:00 p.m. Event: Falloween Carnival

Hi-Tones (621 E. Dewey Pl) hosts a night of creeps and music. Food and beer will be free while supplies last. Enjoy live performers, carnival ghouls and a photo booth. Costumes are required for entry. A portion of proceeds will benefit The Renewable Republic. Admission is $13 presale and $15 at the door.

Friday, November 1

8 p.m. Film Festival: 48 Hour Film Fest

The Film Society will be having a filmmaking contest wherein a group of students will have 48 hours to come up with an idea within a selected genre, film and then edit their short film. There will be prizes for submissions with the grand prize winner’s short film screened at the Film Society’s Short Film Fest at the end of the semester. Drawings for genres will be conducted in the Oak Room (UC 2.01.20). For more information, email Arnoldo Trevino-Palos ([email protected]).

Saturday, November 2

7:30 p.m. Live Music: Dia de Los Muertos Dinner and a Show

Carmens de la Calle Café (720 E Mistletoe Ave) will be hosting the “Dia de Los Muertos Dinner and a Show” in honor of the Day of the Dead. Live music will be performed by Chavela Vargas from his album “Boleros” and dishes derived from “Frida’s Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo” will be served. For more information, and to make a reservation, visit carmensdelacalle.com.

Saturday, November 2

12 p.m. Festival: Dia de Los Muertos Celebration

A festival commemorating the Day of the Dead will be held in Market Square (514 W. Commerce). There will be procession along with drum and dance. Admission is free, the event runs until 6 p.m. For more information, visit sahearts.com.

Sunday, November 3

7:30 p.m. Live Music: The Doobie Brothers

In lieu of the release of their 13th studio album “World Gone Crazy,” The Doobie Brothers will be performing live at the Majestic Theatre (224 E. Houston) along with opening act Erik Dylan. Admission is $46-$76. For more information, visit majesticempire.com.