Local calendar of events for the week of 11-5-13

Tuesday, November 5

8 p.m. Comedy: Open Mic Night

Laugh Out Loud Comedy Club (618 NW Loop 410) hosts an open mic night each Tuesday for those brave enough to show off their comedic skills. LOL Comedy Club gives local comedians a stage to improve their act and make a full room laugh. Open Mic Nights are 18 and up. For more information, visit lolsanantonio.com

Wednesday, November 6

7 p.m. Film Screening: Frankenstein

Santikos Bijou Theatre (4522 Fredericksburg Rd.) is featuring Danny Boyle’s 2011 broadcast of Nick Dear’s Frankenstein as part of London’s National Theatre’s 50th Anniversary. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller alternate roles as the monster and his creator, Victor Frankenstein. Admission is $20.

Thursday, November 7

5 p.m. Event: Wurstfest College Night

Landa Park (120 Landa St.) in New Braunfels, Texas, hosts the most unique celebration of German and Texas culture. Enjoy food, music, dancing, German beer, Texas beer, carnival rides and games. Admission starts at $10.

Friday, November 8

8 p.m. Theatre: Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson

“Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson” will be at the Woodlawn Theatre (1920 Fredericksburg Rd.) through December 1. The show is a comedic Wild West rock musical about the founding of the Democratic Party. Andrew Jackson is redefined as a rock star with focuses on populism and the Indian Removal Act. Student admission is $15.

Saturday, November 9

12:20 a.m. Stand-up Comedy: Midnight Madness

Rivercenter Comedy (849 E Commerce) will be hosting an additional open mic

night featuring local comedians and comedic acts. The “after hours” show will begin

after the 10:30 p.m. scheduled show. Admission is $5. For more information, visit

rivercentercomedyclub.com.

Sunday, November 10

2 p.m. Literary Event: “Pure Grass”

The Central Library (600 Soledad) will host a production of “Pure Grass,” a interpretation of Walt Whitman’s “Leaves of Grass.” Fans of Whitman or those just looking to get a different perspective on the poem can hear a production exploring the poem’s themes.