Roadrunners drop home opener to Cardinals 63-59

20131114 0337

The UTSA (0-2) women’s basketball team barely missed a win against the Lamar Cardinals (2-1) in their first home game of the season on Thursday, Nov. 14 at the Convocation Center. The game was a closely contested, but the Roadrunners fell 63-59.

The second half both teams battled but the game was slowed by foul trouble as each team shot 27 free throws on a total of 48 fouls called by the end of the game.

The Roadrunners were paced by junior guard Kamra King, who scored a career-best 27 points on 7-of-16 shooting. She also had six rebounds and was 11-of-12 from the free throw line.

The game looked hopeful for the Roadrunners at half time, trailing by one point to the Cardinals, 31-30. But Lamar went managed some timely offense in the final six minutes, outscoring UTSA 13-9 down the stretch.

UTSA was also hurt by a poor shooting performance form behind the arc. As a team, the Roadrunners were 5-of-26 from 3-point range for a paltry 19 percent.

“You can’t shoot eight percent in the second half and expect to be in the game,” UTSA Head Coach Lubomyr Lichonczak said after the loss.

UTSA did win the rebound matchup 33-16, forced 16 turnovers and scored 24 points in the paint. Senior guard Miki Turner trailed added 13 points.

“We almost put two halves together,” Kamra King said. “If we don’t have those let downs in the middle of games, we’ll be perfectly fine.”

UTSA will play again on Sunday at the Convocation Center against the UT Arlington Mavericks with tip-off set for 5 P.M.