UTSA men’s basketball collects first win of the 2013-14 season

Utsa-14

Photo Credit: Daryl Smith/The Paisano

The UTSA Roadrunners men’s basketball team (1-4) finally halted their four game losing streak, defeating the Texas A&M Corpus Christi Islanders (3-4) 76-87 at the Convocation Center on Saturday, Nov. 23.

Despite the effort of the Islanders, UTSA was in full control from the tipoff. Mainly because of junior guard Keon Lewis, who led the Roadrunners to a victory. Lewis, who transferred this season to UTSA from North Idaho College, started his second game as a Roadrunner, scoring a season-high thirty points to go with four assists, four rebounds and two steals.

“I felt great,” Lewis said. “But it was a team effort. We knew it was going to be a hard game, but we came out with the victory.

UTSA put up their best numbers to date with 87 points on 24 field goals, 9 3-pointers and 78 percent shooting from the free throw line.

“I thought they (UTSA) played great. I was really proud of them,” UTSA Head Coach Brooks Thompson said after game. “They played 40 minutes together, played hard, rebounded and shot the ball well, so it was a good game for us.”

Defensively the roadrunners finished the game with 34 rebounds, seven steals and three blocks.

“The key of the game was coming together,” Lewis said. “We haven’t been having good practices of the late, so we just needed to come together.”

UTSA hopes to extend their winning streak on Tuesday, Nov. 26 when they travel to Louisiana to face the Nicholls Colonels (0-4). Tipoff is set for 6:30 p.m.