A program worth watching

With their season officially over, the UTSA football program has much to be proud of. For the second consecutive year, the Roadrunners finished with a winning record, and it is becoming clear that a winning foundation is being built.

Picked by many media outlets to win just four games and finish last in the Conference USA (C-USA) West Division, the third year program defied odds and finished tied for second place with a 7-5 overall record and 6-2 C-USA record.

This marks the second consecutive year that the team finishes with a winning percentage of over .500, something that many football programs around the country long for.

With 16 teams in C-USA — and several major football programs among them — UTSA ranked fourth in total offense, third in time of possession, fourth in passing offense, fourth in run defense and seventh in total defense.

Those team statistics prove that not only can UTSA score against top quality FBS opponents, but also that they can dictate the pace of the game and take away the run. That’s a winning formula rooted in football tradition.

The program also boasted a quality passing quarterback for three years. Senior Eric Soza ranked third in C-USA in completions and total offense while also being ranked fourth in passing yards. Soza was also ranked 29th in completions per game in the FBS over that span.

UTSA has the coaching staff to nurture top talent and build a winning foundation. They also have the ability to lure top recruits, such as Soza, which goes a long way for their future.

San Antonio undoubtedly makes for an attractive location for top tier talent with its culture-rich background.The Roadrunners also boast a world-class venue in the Alamodome, which has over 65,000 seats and expands for up to 72,000. If UTSA turns into the inevitable football powerhouse that it is slowly becoming, top prospects playing in San Antonio will be a regular occurrence.

There is much to look forward to for the UTSA football program. Fans, students and alumni should embrace the historical significance of having a program in just its third year making noise with winning records.

In its first year in a major conference, UTSA nearly made a bowl game, catching fire and going on a five-game winning streak to end the season. Time can only help the Roadrunners grow and perfect their game plan. The future is bright for UTSA football, with many bowl games in sight.