Rampage win in dramatic fashion

Rampage photo

The San Antonio Rampage (12-17-0-3) defeated their rivals, the Texas Stars (18-9-2-3), after a victorious 3-2 shootout in a hard fought game on Friday, Dec. 27 at the AT&T Center.

Rampage right wing Denny Urban and defenseman Bobby Butler both scored for the Rampage during the shootout, but the real star of the game was Rampage goalie Jacob Markstrom.

During the shootout, Markstrom was able to stop all four of the Stars shooters, as well as fighting off pressure from the Stars throughout the entire game.

“We played solid, but not even close as good as we should or can play,” Markstrom said. “The only good thing about tonight was the win.”

Things were looking good for the Rampage by the start of the third period when center Wade Megan scored his first goal of the year with assists by right wing John McFarland and left wing Quinton Howden, giving the Rampage a 2-1 lead.

Despite the goal, the Rampage were unable to maintain the lead and succumbed to the Stars intensity by the end of the third period when the Stars were able to tie up the score 2-2.

The tied score led into overtime, which proved to be ineffective for both teams, therefore resulting in a shootout.

Though the game had a riveting ending, the beginning of seemed like the same old same old losing streak for the Rampage who have lost their last four games when the Stars scored a goal only five minutes into the game.

Early on in the second period Rampage right wing and team Captain Greg Rallo scored within the second minute with assists by center Vincent Trocheck and defenseman Ryan Whitney, helping tie up the score 1-1 and giving the Rampage some momentum for the rest of the period, in which they were able to hold off the Stars.

Rampage Head Coach Tom Rowe did not find the game as riveting.

“If we don’t have Marky (Markstrom) in there, we don’t win the game,” Rowe said. “We were very, very fortunate tonight.”

Markstrom also commented about the rough game and losing the lead.

“It shouldn’t matter if you’re up or down,” Markstrom said. “You should play the same way the whole time.”

“If they want to commit themselves to defense and finishing checks and going to the net and the tough areas then we’ll start winning more games than we are now,” Rowe added.

With grit and determination the Rampage pulled out a victory over a rival and were prepared to face off again on Saturday Dec. 28 against the Texas Stars at Cedar Park.

The result was a different one, as the Rampage succumbed to the high intensity the Stars had throughout with the score 5-2. The loss puts the Rampage at (12-18-0-3) heading into their next match against the Oklahoma City Barons (11-17-0-5) on Friday, Jan. 3 at the AT&T Center.