UTSA continue win streak

The UTSA Women’s Basketball team (8-4) beat the New Mexico State Aggies (3-10) at the Convocation Center on Sunday, Dec. 29 to end 2013 with a six game winning streak.

The first half kicked off with New Mexico State connecting with each other as they pulled out to an early 9-2 lead. UTSA responded with a 9-0 run, with the last bucket by junior guard Ashley Spaletta off a no-look pass from sophomore guard Miki Turner to put the Lady Roadrunners up 11-9.

After a New Mexico score by Brianna Freeman, UTSA freshman guard Alana Heard scored a layup by splitting the defense to start a 7-0 run to be ahead 11-18.

UTSA and New Mexico State traded shots but great defense from the Lady Roadrunners prevented New Mexico State from going on any run.

New Mexico State brought the lead within one point, but a three-point play by UTSA’s Turner prevented the Aggies from taking the lead.

UTSA led at halftime 34-30, as the Lady Roadrunners came out determined to pull ahead in the second half.

In the second half Aggie turnovers proved to be fatal as the Lady Roadrunners went on an 11-0 run to put UTSA up by 15 points; the largest lead of the night by either team.

After a New Mexico State timeout, the Aggies started slowly chipping away the lead. New Mexico State’s Danesia Williamson (who ended the night with a game high 22 points) led the Aggies back with quick shots and three-pointers.

New Mexico State trickled down the lead to five points as the score read 60-55 in favor of UTSA. However, UTSA never lost composure as the hard fought battle ended in a UTSA victory of 65-56.

Ashley Spaletta of the Roadrunners ended with 14 points and seven rebounds while Miki Turner added 12 points and sophomore forward Akunna Elonu had 11 points.

UTSA will take on Abilene Christian (9-5) at the Convocation Center on Saturday, Jan. 4 and try to continue their winning streak.