Rampage fall to Rochester at home, 3-2

Sports (rampage photo)- daryl

The San Antonio Rampage (15-21- 1-3) were defeated by the Rochester Americans (17-15-3-3) 3-2 on Jan. 18, at the AT&T Center.

Rochester came into the game ninth in the Western Conference with 40 points, while the Rampage are 13th in the west with 34 points.

Despite the rough start to the season, San Antonio came into the game with good form after winning three of their last four games.

But, the Rampage fell behind early on, conceding a goal just two minutes into the first period.

Rochester center Johan Larsson scored his fourth goal of the season with assists from left-winger Colton Gillies and cen-

ter Brayden Irwin. “We usually come out and bury teams

in the first five minutes to 10 minutes, but it just seemed like we were a step off,” said Rampage Head Coach Tom Rowe. “It happens.”

The Americans controlled the puck for most of the first period, rattling off 14 shots as the Rampage could only muster five.

In the second period, San Antonio seized the only power play opportunity of the period and equalized six minutes in.

Defenseman Doug Janik, who was making his 600th appearance of his ca- reer, scored his first goal of the season. Janik was assisted by defenseman Matt Gilroy and center Ryan Martindale.

Several minutes later, the Americans regained a 2-1 lead with five minutes left to play in the second period.

Rochester center Kevin Sundher scored his fourth goal of the season with assists from left-winger Frederick Roy and right-winger Jonathan Parker.

In the last minute of play the Rampage had a great chance to equalize again with a 1-on-1 chance against the Americans’ goalie, but failed to convert.

Going into the third period, the Amer- icans were dominating with 25 shots while the Rampage had only 13.

In the final period of play, the Ram- page tied the game yet again, with left- winger Quinton Howden scoring his sixth goal of the season five minutes into the third. Right-winger Logan Shaw as- sisted Howden on the play.

Rochester would score once more from a power play to regain the lead with 13 minutes left in the game. Ameri- cans right-winger Jamie Tardif scored his tenth goal of the season, with assists

from center Luke Adam and center Jo- han Larsson.

The Rampage began to press in the final minute by pulling their goalie to give them the numerical man advan- tage going forward, but it would not be enough.

“Its disappointing; there’s nothing you can do about it now,” said Janik after the game. “We just need to learn from it and put it behind us and get better.”

The Rampage now sit second from the bottom in the Western Conference.

“We made some great strides, but to- night we took a step backwards,” said a reflective Rowe.

San Antonio will look to get back to productive play as they take on the Iowa Wild (17-16-3-2) on Friday Jan. 24, at 7:30 p.m. in the AT&T Center.