UTSA Sweeps Lamar with Grand Slams

Sports(softball)-daryl

The UTSA Roadrunners (3-0) dominated the Lamar Cardinals (0-3) in their three game season opener, Feb. 7-9, at Roadrunner Field.

The Roadrunners began their 2014 campaign Friday and finished the weekend in record fashion. With former assistant coach Michelle Cheathams now at the helm UTSA took the victory in all three games and did so with their explosive offense.

“It’s all the kids, they came out and swung the bats today,” said Cheatham on her team’s success on offense after Saturday’s double-header.

UTSA would take the first game 8-6, with a spectacular walk-off two-run homer from Vivian Tijerina in the bottom of the seventh inning. This was Tijerina second home run of the day, and she finished the game 2-for-4 with three RBIs.

The victory marked Coach Cheatham’s first win as a head coach.

Neither team would find the scoreboard till the second inning of Game 2, but it was the Cardinals who would plate two runs to give them the 2-0 lead.

After that, it was all UTSA. Stringing together hit after hit allowed the Roadrunners to have the bases loaded three times, capitalizing on each.

UTSA racked up nine hits and made history by scoring 16 runs, with an NCAA record tying two grand slams in the second frame.

“That’s what this offense can do,” added Coach Cheatham after the game.

Megan Low ended the game 3-for-4, with two homeruns (one being a grand slam) seven RBI’s — and all in the second inning. Randee Crawford would take the other grand slam, going 2-2 for the game with 4 RBI’s.

“Defensively I want to come out more solid. We had a little case of the nerves, and it’s important that we continue to swing the bats,” mentioned Coach Cheatham on what UTSA can improve on going into Sunday’s final game.

UTSA would finish their sweep of the Cardinals Sunday, winning 10-9 with the help of Jori Fox’s grand slam in the third inning. This would be the third grand slam of the weekend, giving Fox 4 RBI’s, tying a career high.

This was the fifth time in school history UTSA has started the season off 3-0. The Roadrunners will take to the road for their first road game at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 12, at No. 10 Texas (4-2).