NCAA 2014 2nd & 3Rd Rounds

Sportsncaa-brittney

UTSA hosted the second and third rounds of the 2014 NCAA Division I men’s basketball championship at the AT&T Center this past weekend, March 21-23.

The Roadrunners have hosted 14 NCAA championship events since 1997, including five Final Fours. This was the first time the Roadrunners hosted an event at the AT&T Center, having previously hosted at the Alamodome.

San Antonio kicked off the second round with the Baylor Bears (6) taking on the Nebraska Cornhuskers (11) in the first session of the day, March 21.

The Bears easily defeated the Cornhuskers with four players in double figures, with the final score 74-60.

The following game had the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns (14) matched up against the Creighton Blue Jays (3).

The Ragin’ Cajuns could not stop the Blue Jays and fell 76-66. Creighton’s Doug McDermott extended his NCAA record for scoring in double-figures to 134 games, ending the game with 30 points.

The first game of the second session saw the North Carolina Tarheels (6) take on the Providence Friars (11).

The Tarheels defeated the Friars, 79-77, to advance to their 12th straight third-round appearance.

The last game of the second session saw the Iowa State Cyclones (3) take on the North Carolina Central Eagles (14).

The Cyclones easily dismantled the Eagles 93-75, to advance to the third round. The win marked their first victory in eight of their last nine NCAA appearances.

After a day of practice and media interviews, play resumed on March 23.

San Antonio tipped off their first pair of third-round games with the North Carolina Tarheels (6) matching up against the Iowa State Cyclones (3).

The Cyclones pulled off the win over the Tarheels, 85-83, with a late score by senior DeAndre Kane.

“It was huge; coach drew it up,” said freshman Cyclones guard Monte Morris. “Fake a pick and just let DeAndre go to work. He turned the corner and made a great play.” Morris ended the game with 13 points, three rebounds and two assists. Kane ended the game with the huge stat-line of 24 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists.

Iowa State advances to their first Sweet Sixteen since 2000, with the win.

The second game of the day saw the Creighton Blue Jays (3) take on the (6) Baylor Bears.

The game was quickly decided after the first half, as Baylor jumped to a huge 40-20 lead by halftime.

The Bears held their lead and demolished the Blue Jays, 85-55.

“It’s disappointing obviously,” said senior guard Grant Gibbs on this being the end of the Blue Jays season. “It just doesn’t seem real that we would play that bad in the biggest game of the year.”

The Baylor Bears advanced to their third Sweet Sixteen in the past five seasons with the victory.