A Deole’ Time

Artsydeol

Looking for a cheap place close to campus to grab some pizza and relax? Look no further than Deol Bar. The small college bar is conveniently located across Loop 1604 from the UTSA Main Campus and is tailored to the college crowd, along with a handful of local patrons.

Deol Bar’s atmosphere is typical for a college bar: it’s laid back but can become a rambunctious. It’s also a good place to relax and enjoy a game on any of the small plasma TVs or the floor-to-ceiling projector screen. Music is optional, with a jukebox in the corner ready to produce tunes to fit any mood. The bartenders are easy-going but attentive, always keeping the tables clean.

Happy hour is from 3:00-8:30 p.m. weekdays and includes $3 brews. Even though the draft selection is non-existent, there is a decent selection of bottled drinks.

Also, Deol has a fair selection of cocktails to satisfy multiple tastes. The Candy Cane is highly requested and includes Rumple Minze, cherry vodka, crème de menthe, half-and-half and grenadine. The Kiwi Explosion is also a popular choice, consisting of Lemon Bacardi, Blue Curacao, sweet & sour and Sprite.

The appetizer list is short, but the menu at Deol lists quality treats consisting of mozzarella sticks, jalapeño poppers and a variety of fried vegetables.

The standouts are the jalapeño poppers, which explode with savory cheese combined with the heat of pepper against the satisfying crunch of the fried shell. A milder but competitive choice to the jalapeño poppers are the mozzarella sticks. The breaded exterior is a wholesome, garlicky crunch met with a gooey delight of mozzarella, which strings out forever.

Deol Bar’s number one attraction is its hand-tossed pizza, which is the perfect choice for the college student on a budget. Not only is it fantastic, but slices can be ordered for less than $2. The whole pizzas are a huge bargain and come in two sizes: a 12-inch with one topping starting at just $7.59 and a 16-inch with one topping for $7.99. Additional toppings can be added for around a dollar each.

Deol also offers salads, burgers, sandwiches and wings with a variety of sauces.

One of Deol Bar’s busiest nights is College Tuesday, where any beer is only $2 and any liquor, excluding top shelf, is only $3.

Deol Bar is a decent place for UTSA students to relax for a bargain. Sophistication is not the bar’s main draw, but the atmosphere provides a laid-back, fun and cheap experience for any budget. They are open every day from 3:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.

For more information, check out Deol Bar on Facebook.