Rampage win with defense

Sports(rampage)marcusconnolly

The San Antonio Rampage (29-33-3-6) defeated the Lake Erie Monsters (29-31-0-9) 3-0 with a stifling defensive effort on Saturday, April 5 at the AT&T Center.

“We didn’t play great in the first (period) but the veterans took control,” said Rampage Head Coach Tom Rowe after the victory. “We went out in the second and third (periods) and played the way we were supposed to play.”

With tough defense and physical play, the first period saw the both teams remain scoreless. The Rampage spent most of their time on the offensive side, shooting 12 shots compared to the Monsters’ seven. Lake Erie goalie Calvin Pickard showed poise and determination to stop the three San Antonio power plays of the term.

With about 12:49 left in the period, a Rampage goal by Defenseman Josh McFadden with an assist from right wing John McFarland and center Ryan Martindale ended the all-zero tie. The goal was McFadden’s first of the season.

Sensational saves by Rampage goalie Michael Houser kept the defense strong willed throughout the game. This was Houser’s first AHL shutout of the season, ending the game stopping all of the Monsters’ 26 shots.

“It’s been a tough stretch, but the season’s never over until the last game is played,” said Houser after the game, commenting on the now two-game winning streak.

With about 2:33 left in the period, Rampage left wing Connor Brickley, scored on a power play assisted by center Ryan Martindale, his second assist of game.
“Coach was generous enough to put me on the power play, and I was able to score,” explained Brickley on his goal after the game.

The Lake Erie Monsters sharpened their defense in the third period, stealing the puck from the Rampage with every chance they could get.

Unfortunately for Lake Erie, the Rampage scored one more goal with 12:24 left by right wing Gregg Rallo. He found open space during the power play, and was assisted by Mike Mottau.

“It was a tough game played,” said a stern Coach Rowe after the game. “We got the goals when we needed them. We got some timely goals.”

The San Antonio Rampage will face off against the Texas Stars on Friday, April 11 at 7:30 p.m. in Dallas, Texas. With the season winding down, the last four games of the season for the Rampage will be at home. The next two will be against the Texas Stars on Saturday, April 12 at 7p.m. and Sunday, April 13 at 4 p.m.