UTSA ‘Perks’

While we all know how the UC Cinema has free movie showings and the library provides the use of computers and scanners, there could still be some of the pre-paid “perks” of UTSA that you pay in your tuition fees that you may be missing out on.

The JPL– Yeah sure, you can rent study rooms and books galore, but did you know you can also rent different technology? Instead of paying for an iClicker you can rent one for the entire semester. Just make sure to go early before classes start; if not, they’ll be gone. In addition to iClickers, the JPL also offers the rental of different calculators, typewriters, protractors, compasses, rulers and whiteboard supplies.

The Rec– While the Rec is awesome for a good workout, don’t limit it to just that. The Rec’s Outdoor Resource Center offers a lending program for any UTSA student in need of camping equipment. Canoes, tents, bikes and more are all available to borrow. Some equipment requires an orientation before check out, but it is still a great option for the average college student who doesn’t have the time or money to buy camping equipment.

The Rec also offers a variety of services for the UTSA student to use for free. This includes assessments of overall fitness, body composition and nutrition to help you be serious about your workout routine. Not to mention kitchen demonstrations that teach you how to cook different types of cuisine.

UTSA Events and Speakers– Every academic department at UTSA puts together different events and invites guest speakers, but there is a low turnout to these events. Find out when speakers are coming to UTSA. Events that provide speakers on a variety of topics, like CommWeek, give you the opportunity to meet and speak with professionals in your field of interest.

UTSA App– White UTSA sends out frequent emails to students to keep them up-to-date on events, students can still miss the emails. UTSA’s free smartphone app allows you to look at the directory, calendar of events and UTSA news. In addition, you can also access your ASAP account where you can find your daily class schedule, account balance, holds and grades all from the convenience of your phone.

Other UTSA Resources– One of the most unknown but helpful resources of UTSA is myUTSA Apps. Through this app any student can access applications such as Microsoft Office 2010, MATLAB, Adobe Master Collection CS3 (which includes Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Indesign) and so much more. To access these applications go to myapps.utsa.edu and log in with your myUTSA ID (abc123) and password.