Local calendar of events for the week of 4-22-14

Tuesday, April 22

6:30 p.m. Event: “Meet the Author: Laurie Ann Guerrero”

Come celebrate the written word during National Poetry Month. San Antonio Poet Laureate Laurie Ann Guerrero will read from her poetry collection “A Tongue in the Mouth of the Dying” at the San Antonio Central Library (600 Soledad St.). For more information, call (210) 207-2500.

7:30 p.m. Concert: “UTSA Orchestra”

The concert will feature winners of the Aria and Concerto Competition held in December 2013. Free admission for UTSA students with ID and $5 for non-students. The concert will be held in the Recital Hall in the Arts Building. For more information, visit music.utsa.edu.

Wednesday, April 23

6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Event: “People, Planet, Peace Over Profit”

Students United for Socioeconomic Justice (SUSJ) discuss fossil fuels, democracy, capitalism, labor, colonization, climate change and environmental justice in their 3rd annual panel. The group invites UTSA students to contribute to the discussion. The event will take place in MH 3.04.28. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. For more information, call 210-542-9278.

7- 8:30 p.m. Event: “Howl”

The San Antonio Central Library (600 Soledad St.) presents a screening of the film “Howl,” directed by and starring James Franco. The film is about the controversial poem “Howl,” by Allen Ginsberg. A biopic on Ginsberg will also be screened. For more information, call (210) 207-2500.

Friday, April 24

10 a.m. Event: Battle of the Flowers Parade

Come celebrate the Battle of the Flowers at the San Antonio Youth Parade location (1001 Broadway Ave.). A fee of $25 gets you prime seating for viewing the parade, along with a hamburger or hotdog, soda or water. The Battle of the Flowers Parade is meant to honor those who lost their lives at the Alamo and to celebrate the victory in the Battle of San Jacinto. The event has been a San Antonio tradition since 1891.

Sunday, April 27

5:00 p.m. Event: “Open Mic Night”

Sagebrush Review collaborates with UTSA’s English Honor Society Sigma Tau Delta for a night to celebrate the latest issue of Sagebrush Review. Featured readers include members from Sagebrush Review and Sigma Tau Delta. The event will be held at The Point Park and Eats (24188 Boerne Stage Rd). For more information, visit Sagebrush Review’s Facebook page.