Athlete Spotlight: In the dugout with Courtney Buchman

Softball 2

Courtney “Buc” Buchman’s numbers may seem arbitrary, but that isn’t to say they are not impressive.

The UTSA junior shortstop has been on a roll all season, stifling pitchers at the plate with her precision bunting and stellar defensive play.

The 2012 third-team All-Southland Conference player led her high school team, Cinco Ranch, to three district championships, earning first-team all-American awards in three years there. Although she amassed numerous accolades during her time in Katy, Buchman knew early on college ball was her ultimate dream.

“I’ve wanted to play college ball since I was 10. I had a college coach, Lindsey Garner, who was an amazing second baseman at the University of Texas,” said Buchman. “As soon as I saw her play, I knew it was what I really wanted.”

Buc’s dream of being a collegiate athlete did not come without its fair share of scrapes and bruises. During her freshman year, Buchman suffered a broken ankle that forced her to sit out an entire year. Since then she has battled back, and continues to take the necessary precautions so that she can stay on the field year-round.

“It was definitely an eye-opener,” reiterated Buchman on the rehabilitation it took to come back. “I came back with fire, and it really allowed me to have a new respect and love for the game.”

Buchman is not only a division one collegiate athlete, but also a charismatic teammate who reassures everyone in the dugout that being a little goofy is the best medicine for success.

“I try to be the funniest person on the team,” joked Buchman. “Because when we play with tension, we don’t play well. But if I’m dancing and my teammates are laughing, we tend to play better.”

Being a shortstop requires high improvised intelligence and is one of the most critical positions to play; however, Buchman makes playing shortstop look more fun than business.

Nevertheless, Buchman’s approach when hitting the field is no laughing matter.

“Defense comes naturally for me,” stated Buchman. “But before each pitch, I am constantly telling everyone how many outs there are and what their assignments are on the field.”

Buchman’s endurance on the field should not be questioned. She has started 50 games this season —enough to lead the team — and she is second on the team in at bats, with 147. She is also currently second on the team with runs scored at 23, and third in doubles and hits, with eight doubles and 34 hits. Buchman’s versatility and tenacity has proven that she is an elite athlete, who is ready for whatever obstacle comes her, or UTSA’s way. As the season comes to a close, Buchman will need to continue her elite performance as the C-USA Tournament draws near.

The junior shortstop will take the field again Wednesday, April 30, when the Roadrunners take on the Incarnate Word Cardinals (20-28) at Cardinal Field.