​The Top craft beer spots in San Antonio

San Antonio is developing a reputation for fantastic craft beer. In the past decade many craft breweries have opened and the number of bars that carry craft beer has increased.

If you’re looking to grab a drink soon but don’t want to see anything owned or operated by Annheuser- Busch or MillerCoors, check out these craft beer bars. You won’t be disappointed with their selection of unique, palate widening drinks. Not only that but you’ll be helping out small businesses as barely 10% of the US beer market is comprised of beer made by someone other than Miller, Busch or InBev.

Here are just a few of the top craft beer bars in San Antonio.

Big Hops Growler Station off Huebner

Big Hops is San Antonio’s only business that any craft beer enthusiast should visit on a regular basis. They have a wide selection of the most popular beers from breweries like Branchline, Busted Sandal and Stone. Big Hops doesn’t offer food like some other bars but does allow customers to bring their own food or purchase food from neighboring restaurants. Big Hops Growler Station (Huebner location) can be found at 11224 Huebner Rd, 78230.

Branchline Brewery Tap Room

Branchline Brewery’s tap room has dozens of locally brewed drinks from Shady Oak’s Blonde Ale, Evil Owl Amber and their Woodcutter Rye IPA. Branchline regularly holds events to instruct patrons on whisky and beer tasting. Beers are more than affordable in the range of $3 to $5. They often serve randalized beer, most recently fusing their usual Boozy Blonde Ale with blue berries, thus creating the terrific Bloozy Blonde drink. Branchline offers tours of the brewery and usually have several local food trucks parked outside. Branchline is located at 3633 Metro Parkway, 78247.

Freetail Brewing Company

Freetail brewing company has been pleasing customers since 2005 with its unique selection of craft beer and pizza. Their Danny Mijo Ale and Spirulina Wit are fan favorites that complement a diverse lineup of pizzas. This isn’t your ordinary pizza place though; you can create your pie with everything from pepperoni to brisket. They also have several specials throughout the week including a Wednesday night “Date Night” special where couples can order any medium pizza and a full pitcher of any of Freetail’s craft beers for only $16. Monday nights are $10 pitcher nights while Tuesdays are $2.50 pint night. Freetail is located at 4035 N Loop 1604, 78257.

The Granary

The Granary at The Pearl Brewery is well known for its great food and worldly menu, but customers who go there for the food are consistently surprised by the quality of their bar. Typically you don’t always expect top notch restaurants to have beer other than the big brands you’d see in Wal-Mart. The Granary kicks that trend with its beer selection. The Granary’s own beer is made within the walls of the restaurant itself. It is the freshest beer you can be served at any bar in town. The Granary’s beer is never pasteurized or filtered. The Granary is located at 602 Avenue A, 78215.

The Friendly Spot

If you’re planning on going to First Friday downtown then The Friendly Spot is the place for you. Its got a wide selection of craft beers from breweries like Stone, Freetail, Rangercreek and others. Over 250 bottled beers and 76 are on tap to choose from. There are several TV screens to watch the latest Spurs game. The venue is great for families as well with weekly movie screenings and a playground for children. The Friendly Spot is open until Midnight seven days a week and located at 943 S. Alamo Street, 78205.

Tuk Tuk Taproom

Tuk Tuk is a fairly new establishment but its quickly made a reputation for offering superb Asian cuisine along with a wide variety of craft beer. They have dozens of craft beers to choose from, every brewery from Brooklyn to Anita, Lagunitas to Rogue and Ska. Terrific food pairs well with these drinks like the Mynamar Tomato Salad, the Yum Makuatad Keow and the Thai Shrimp Omelette. Tuk Tuk Taproom is located at 1702 Broadway, 78215.

Big Hops Gastropub

While Big Hops off Huebner offers a wide selection of craft beer that sets it above most other bars in the city, it lacks food and events. The Big Hops Gastropub off Bulverde Road fixes those flaws with a good menu and live music. Not only will you be able to select from possibly the best selection of craft beer in the city, but you can eat a wide range of food like the Duke Frites, which are French fries cooked in duck fat. In Huebner location, you won’t find a single non craft beer, and most cost less than $7. Big Hops Gastropub is located at 22250 Bulverde Rd, Ste. 106 78259.

The Cove

You’ve probably heard of The Cove as it’s one of the most popular restaurants in San Antonio. Its habit for using the best ingredients for its organic and local soul food is extended to its beer selection. The Cove has dozens of craft beers to choose from to go along with some live music. The restaurant also holds exciting events to accompany its beer and food, like the 2nd annual Fiesta Roll on April 19. The Cove is family friendly with a basketball court and table tennis for the kids while bands from across the nation play on its stage. The Cove is located at 606 W. Cypress, 78212.