Chilly treats at SA Pops

(arts) sa pops (tania khan)  gallery

SA Pops, a frozen treats shop, invites customers to cool off with artisan, handcrafted treats and drinks sure to satisfy even the pickiest eater.

The creator behind the brightly colored paletas — Spanish for popsicles — which are quickly becoming popular, is San Antonio native Andrew Gutierrez.

His love of frozen treats prompted Gutierrez to open the shop after working at various culinary institutes and businesses and becoming experienced in the art of bringing joy to people through food. His parents, Marina and Silvester Guteirrez, help manage the front of the store.

Inside, SA Pops has a down-to-earth and family-friendly atmosphere. Outside, vivid drawings paint the front windows alongside charming flower pots and tables for customers to sit and enjoy their treats.

The shop’s interior keeps true to its roots with bright colors, random objects and pieces of art that relate to Mexican or San Antonio culture. Mismatched tables and chairs take up most of the room, creating a quirky yet endearing place to visit.

Using local, seasonal, fresh ingredients, Gutierrez creates a variety of multi-colored paletas with flavors ranging from the simple — vanilla and mango — to the more exotic — tamarindo and rice pudding. All the paletas are crafted using an authentic paleta machine imported from Mexico.

Prices start at $2 for a simple paleta. Other treats include New Orleans-style shaved ice, handmade ice cream sandwiches, milkshakes, soft-serve ice cream, Mexican sodas and sundaes.

For something simple, try the raspberry paleta. Made fresh from real raspberries, there is no hint of artificial flavoring or preservatives. Tart and sweet, the treat leaves lips a deep shade of red.

For something deliciously different, order the chocolate dipped pistachio paleta. Once the order is placed, the paleta is hand-dipped and then coated with crushed pistachios for a crunchy and nutty treat.

Shaved ice is also a good option for beating the heat. Sizes and prices vary. A small (8 oz.) costs $2 and the large (20 oz.) costs $4.

All the syrups are made in-store and vary from horchata and wedding cake to dill pickle and chamoy. Go for the piña colada and add ice cream for $1 more — a delicious and satisfying combination.

Freshly made cookies create the handcrafted ice cream sandwiches. For $2, customers can get a good-sized sandwich with flavors ranging from chocolate chip to triple chocolate fudge. All sandwiches have a thick layer of one of many flavors of ice cream in the middle.

The owners make an effort to talk and connect with customers, adding to the friendly and cozy atmosphere of the shop that leaves guests feeling welcomed.

SA Pops is located at 3420 N. Saint Mary’s St. and is open every day from 2 p.m.- to 8 p.m. Visit sapops.net for more information.