Record convention attracts music lovers to San Antonio

Photo (1)

Last Sunday, people from all across Texas gathered on the northeast side of the city to attend the San Antonio Record Show.

Vendors from cities such as Dallas and Austin arrived at the Schertz Civic Center to sell vinyl records, DVDs, posters, pins, CDs and other musical items

Typically, San Antonio has to compete with the Austin Record Convention that takes place in October, but this year the convention was canceled.

“I was already deep into promoting the record convention when I found out there was no Austin Record Convention,” Jesse Galvan told the San Antonio Current. “All of a sudden, my show has become more relevant.”

The convention had an admission fee of $3.00 per person and was free for kids under 12. There was also an optional early bird admission fee of $10.00, which allowed patrons to purchase goods up to two hours before the official opening time at 10 a.m.

General admission granted record fans access to a wide span of choices from bins that had $1.00 vinyl records to boxes that held limited edition records costing $75.00 and higher. Options ranged from contemporary artists like Warpaint and Cake, to classics such as Credence Clearwater, the Beatles and of course, the classic Jane Fonda Workout record.

Vinyl enthusiasts that missed the San Antonio Record Convention may not have to wait too long for the next one. Based on the vital signs of Sunday’s event, it is likely that the record convention could start taking place annually.

During the event, individuals who helped run the convention stated that they were confident that Galvan will put on another convention within six months to a year.

For anyone interested in purchasing vinyl records in San Antonio, Half Price Books, Hogwild Records and Imagine Books and Records are a few good vendors to explore.