NFL playoffs pick up speed as final four teams are selected

New Orleans Saints 45

Arizona Cardinals 14

With both teams having high scoring offenses, the game was going to be won with strong defensive play. The Saints defense stepped up to the challenge. The Cardinals scored on the very first play of scrimmage with a 70 yard touchdown run by Running Back Tim Hightower, but couldn’t regain the momentum throughout the rest of the game. Cardinals Quarterback Kurt Warner was harassed all game by the Saints’ blitz packages while Saints Quarterback Drew Brees continued his strong performance by throwing for three touchdowns and 247 yards. Saints Running Back Reggie Bush ran like a man with a mission, scoring multiple times with a 43-yard run and 83-yard punt return. The Saints will stay at home and host the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Championship game. Both teams are coming off strong and convincing wins and will have plenty of confidence coming into the next game.

Indianapolis Colts 20

Baltimore Ravens 3

Quarterback Peyton Manning and the Colts showed their experience as Manning led his team time and time again for a score. The Ravens strong rushing game was held in check by the Colts defense who allowed only 87 yards. The Ravens let the game slip away as they turned the ball over four times, something a team doesn’t want to do against the Colts offense. The Colts were a well-rested team and showed their stamina late in the game by shutting out the Ravens in the second half. The Colts will stay at home to face the streaking wild card team, the New York Jets. The Colts will have to handle the Jets number one defense cornerback Darrelle Revis, who is sure to be in the face of Colts’ Wide Receiver Reggie Wayne. The Colts will be the favorite to win the game, with MVP Manning leading the offense.

Minnesota Vikings 34

Dallas Cowboys 3

Vikings’ Quarterback Brett Favre continues to show why he is a living legend on the football field. Favre made all the right plays throwing for 234 yards and four touchdowns. The Cowboys had a lot of missed opportunities as they missed two field goals and had multiple trips into the red zone without scoring a touchdown. Cowboys’ Quarterback Tony Romo was under duress all game by the Vikings’ defensive line that sacked him six times and forced three turnovers. The Cowboys’ defense coming into the game had been stopping their opponents’ big play threats, but the Vikings’ Wide Receiver, Sidney Rice, had a big game with three touchdown catches.

The Vikings will travel to face the New Orleans Saints in the Superdome as their final hurdle to the Super Bowl. The top two NFC teams will battle it out with big plays and strong defenses. Turnovers will be a big factor in this game as the team with the turnover advantage will control the tempo of the game.

New York Jets 17

San Diego Chargers 14

The Jets are proving week by week why they deserve to be recognized as a top team. They continue to play their game by running the ball down the middle of the opposing team’s defense and letting their defense dictate the pace of the game. The Chargers came into the game with an 11 game win streak but couldn’t figure out a way to overcome the Jets defense that had them on their heels the whole game. Jets’ Quarterback Mark Sanchez continued his tough performance, making no mistakes and getting the ball into his receiver’s hands. Chargers’ Kicker Nate Kaeding missed three field goals in the game, which was the same amount he missed all season. That was a potential nine points the Chargers would’ve have liked. The Jets will move onto play the Colts, who are a more experienced team, in the AFC Championship game.