Events Calendar for Week of 10-7-14

Wednesday 10/8:

Need a good laugh to get you through the week? Check out the comedians of Dormtainment on campus. The famous YouTube group will be performing in the UC Ballroom at 8 p.m. and the doors open at 7:30 p.m. Dormtainment has been featured on the Today Show and Comedy Central. Admission is free to all students with a UTSA ID. For more information, visit utsa.edu.

Thursday 10/9:

If Wednesday evening’s festivities don’t put enough of a smile on your face, head to the Laugh Out Loud! Comedy Club (618 N.W. Loop 410) for a performance from Lisa Landry. She competed in the Standup Showdown competition that Comedy Central commissions annually and was the first woman to place third out of the top 100 participants. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets cost $16. You must be 18 to attend Landry’s performance. For more information, visit lolsanantonio.com

Friday 10/10:

From 4:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. stop by the Convocation Center Parking Lot for BestFest. This UTSA tradition began in 1978 as a way to acknowledge five of Texas’ best festivals. It incorporates New Braunfels’ Wurstfest, Corpus Christi’s Buccaneer Days, San Antonio’s Fiesta, Dallas’ Texas State Fair and Loredo’s celebration of George Washington’s birthday. This year’s theme is UTSA’s Bestsellers and it will feature each festivals’ best items sold. For more information, visit utsa.edu.

Saturday 10/11:

Make the most of homecoming weekend and participate in the Spirit Walk. At 3:30 join Larry Coker and the football team in entering the Alamodome. Hoefgen Avenue will be lined with UTSA marching band members and cheerleaders. Rowdy will lead the crowd into the stadium and get everyone ready for a great game! For more information, visit utsa.edu.

Sunday 10/12:

The McNay will be hosting “Distinguished Lecture: Identity Before Freud: Gaugin’s Self-Portraits.” Paul Gauguin abandoned his life as a stockbroker and family man for a new beginning as a professional artist. The McDermott Distinguished Chair of Art and Aesthetic Studies at the University of Texas at Dallas and scholar of impressionism and French painting, Richard Brettell will be discussing the overall transformations in Gauguin’s self-portraits. Students with a school ID can get in for $5. For more information, visit mcnayart.org.

Tuesday 10/14:

Swing by the San Antonio Art Museum (SAMA) for Art Fit: Art + Exercise. This absolutely free event starts at 6:30 p.m. with a short discussion about fitness portrayed in visual art followed by a run alongside the river. Enjoy a meal at the Luxury, if you wish, with fellow runners. For more information, visit samuseum.com.