Baseline Bios: The freshman experience from two different perspectives

Wilson christian

As an out-of-state recruit from Louisiana, freshman Christian Wilson must not only adjust his game from a high school level to the college game, but also break out of the mold of the south’s low recognition from top schools around the country.

“It’s just an adjustment. Everybody want’s to be ‘the Guy’, but good player’s understand the game,” said Wilson. “Being the sixth man, coming off the bench, I just step up and play my role the best I can,” he continued.

Wilson is not the only newcomer on the squad as over half of UTSA’s roster is made up of freshmen.

One of these freshmen — Larry Lewis — is experiencing a different start to the new year on the court than his other teammates after a shortened season due to an injury sustained last year. Lewis was given a medical redshirt, or granted a hardship waiver that would void his benched season and keep him eligible for the next four years of his college career.

Despite the setback, Lewis, also an out-of-state recruit from Arizona, isn’t troubled by the loss of playtime. “When I suffered from that medical redshirt, I just sat back and observed the position that I would be taking on for the upcoming year. I just try to do everything the coach wants me to do, perfect it as much as I can and do it to the best of my ability,” explained Lewis.

The key ingredient for UTSA to win C-USA lies within the ability for the team to lock-in and be ready to play every single game.

“I think we can win if we all continue to buy in and sell out and play every single possession, defense and offense, at 120 percent,” said Lewis.

“There’s a high chance for us (to win C-USA), we just have to come out and play ball, stop having these moments where we come out slow and sluggish,” added Wilson.

Ultimately, both of these young players want their legacies as Roadrunners to be remembered as hard-working individuals and teammates.

“I just want people to remember me as one of those hard-working players with a great attitude and who was fun to be around,” Lewis stated. Said Wilson of his plans beyond college basketball, “I want to graduate and become an alumni here at the Roadrunner Nation, as well as further my career into professional basketball.”

Wilson, Lewis and the Roadrunners go on the road for their next bout against the UTEP Miners on Thursday Feb. 21, in El Paso, Texas.