UTSA avoids shutout against WKU

Baseball-1edit

The UTSA Roadrunners baseball team (13-10, 4-2 C-USA) bounced back from two home losses in a triple-header this weekend against Western Kentucky University (12-10, 4-2 C-USA).

UTSA pitcher Aaron Burns pitched a complete game shutout in a 12-0 victory during game three of the trilogy. Burns’ win added to his team leading four victories and dazzling 1.16 ERA on the season.

“I just wanted to start the game off with a good tempo and get our guys rolling. I just threw fastballs and let our defense work and they proved it today,” Burns said.

UTSA Head Coach Jason Marshall was “happy to salvage the weekend” and avoid a three-game sweep against their conference rivals.

“If you’re going to compete in this league and give yourself a chance at a post-season, you can’t get swept. It’s really a sign of weakness if you get swept, and I was proud that we stepped up and played the kind of baseball we can play in the backend of the double-header,” Marshall said.

Batting leadoff in game one, UTSA right fielder Jesse Baker improved his batting average to .317 by crushing his fourth homer in the last six contests. Baker’s success continued through the third game as he smacked a double in the ballgame’s first at bat.

“Coach told us we had to have more energy and more intent between the lines and just play the game better,” Baker said. “We kind of came out with a chip on our shoulder in that second game. That’s how we need to play every game.”

On Tuesday, March 24, the Roadrunners face top-ranked Texas A&M in a marquee matchup that places Marshall against his alma mater at Wolff Stadium.

“It’s something we’re definitely looking forward to. They’ve got some veteran guys and they’re playing with some swagger and belief. It’ll be tough for them to navigate through the SEC, and on Tuesday, it’ll be tough for us to navigate the Aggies,” Marshall ended with a laugh.