Volleyball opens spring campaign

Vbolly

UTSA volleyball captured their first win of the spring campaign against the TCU Horned Frogs in a five-set sweep totaling 115-88 at the Convocation Center on Saturday, March 28.

“We stayed focused and everybody did their job. I think we played really well today,” said UTSA outside hitter, Dajana Boskovic.

Hailing from Croatia, Boskovic’s rising status as a leader comes with her phenomenal fall season. She was second in the team last fall in kills, recording 413, and lead the Roadrunners in kills per set at 4.64.

“I love this team. Dajana is by far one of the best players on the team and she’s (starting to) step up to be a leader,” explained UTSA Head Coach Laura Groff.

This spring campaign is coming off the heels of a phenomenal fall season, as UTSA finished 20-9 overall, 15-1 in Conference USA play and 10-1 at home in the Convocation Center.

Middle hitter Kylie Schott stated, “I’m really excited about (the spring season), we are pretty much all returners, so we are a really great team and we really know each other. I think we are going to do really well this spring.”

Middle hitter Megan Slan added, “(We) didn’t finish where we wanted to finish last season. We’ve grown so much since the fall already. I feel we have grown closer and stronger.”

With the win against the Horned Frogs, UTSA handled their first of four play-dates incredibly well with a 25-16, 25-22, 25-18, 25-19, and 15-13 five-set sweep.

“I thought we kept great composure. When they put the pressure on, I think they handled it very well,” explained Groff. “Every day in practice is so competitive. I love our team chemistry right now. We hope that their confidence can carry over into the fall. We are treating it like our season. We take a step forward every year instead of a step back. We have high expectations, but I’m not making any prediction because we have a long spring and fall ahead of us,” she continued.

UTSA has another play-date on April 11 for the F.A.S.T. Complex Collegiate Invitational in Houston. For the Lone Star College Classic Showcase in Dallas, UTSA will compete all day in preparation for their Apr. 24 game against the University of Texas-Austin Longhorns.