Great Balls of Fire!

Jerry lee

Jerry Lee Lewis captured Sun Record’s (and soon America’s) heart in 1958 with his self-debut titled album that bridged some leftover gaps between rock and roll and rockabilly. Rebellious, yet smooth, Lewis joined the likes of Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash as the raw image of rock and roll in the late 1950s.

The album starts out with a cover of Elvis Presley’s “Don’t Be Cruel.” An upper-paced version, the Presley cover was a great introduction to the album and great transition to “Goodnight, Irene.” At the start of this second song, it becomes evident that the world has another great rock and roller pianist to join Little Richard in the revolution of new music.

Other covers such as Cal Perkin’s “Matchbox,” and Hank Williams’ “Jambalaya (On the Bayou)” diversify the essence of Lewis’s influences. Other songs such as “Crazy Arms,” and “Put Me Down,” are Lewis’ up-beat rendition of his advanced piano playing.

“It All Depends,” “Jambalaya (On the Bayou” and “Fools Like Me,” expose Lewis’s Country influences whilst putting his own pianistic twist to genius this album.

Jerry Lee Lewis catapulted to stardom with his debut arriving at the height of the rock and roll radio revolution in the mid to late 1950s. Lewis put excitement between rock and piano playing much like Little Richard did a few years before. Although Little Richard can be seen as more of a jazzy and flamboyant character, and Jerry Lee Lewis is more country influenced, both artists play the piano with their fingers fluttering around the keys just like a butterfly fluttering around flowers, or sound waves fluttering into your brain to get you to enjoy sounds that you might not hear the rest of the day.