The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Bubby-the-misadventures-of-flapjack-wallpapers-1024x768

Ah yes, “The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack.” Those that were lucky enough to watch this cartoon needn’t read further. Those that have no idea what “The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack” is, allow me to explain.

“The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack” premiered on Cartoon Network on June 5, 2008 and remained as a network staple until August 30, 2010. The series had an impressive (by today’s standards) run of three seasons. The series was met with mixed reviews due to the lack of a solid back-story and the unnecessary creepiness that was a bit much at times for children. I for one, being a twenty-one-year-old adult, list this cartoon as one of my favorites of all time.

I am mostly attracted to the more disturbing cartoons, such as “Invader Zim” and “Courage the Cowardly Dog,” so that may explain why I am a fan while others cringe at the mention of this cartoon. Though the theme throughout the show is not always disturbing and eerie. In fact a lot of the series was focused around tiny mishaps that the main character, Flapjack, found himself in.

The story follows young Flapjack, a boy who was found lost at sea by a whale, Bubbie, who then raises him and acts as his mother figure. Flapjack is a very kind and naïve boy, which one day lead him to persuade Bubbie to save a stranded pirate, Captain K’nuckles, who is a freeloader. The only reason Captain K’nuckles is not pushed away by Bubbie is because of Flapjacks liking toward him. Being the young boy that he is, Flapjack dreams of adventure. Captain K’nuckles knows this and tells young Flapjack that he is searching for Candied Island, an island made entirely out of candy. From then on, Captain K’nuckles becomes a permanent member of the team and leads Flapjack into strange situations to help him on his quest.

The setting of the series is quite unique. Creator Van Orman dreamed of adventure and living near a dock so that he could paddle out into the ocean whenever he wanted to. “The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack” mainly takes places at Stormalong Harbor where there are ships and sailors all the time: the perfect place for adventure.

The time period also makes for an interesting feel. Judging by certain aspects of the show, such as the character Doctor Barber whose shop is both a Doctors office and a Barbers shop, and the clothing worn by the character, It is presumably set some time during the 1800’s.

Along with the interesting setting, the cartoon content is quite entertaining. Unlike most cartoons today, it does not base each show plot off a template. There’s always something new happening in different ways. One show may focus on Flapjack’s day while the next may focus on him and Captain K’nuckles as they are sailing the sea in search of Candied Island. This is what makes a great cartoon!

As stated before, the only downfall, according to a large portion of viewers, was the unnecessary horror in the series. Here are some examples from which you can make your own opinion: Insane moments part 1 and insane moments part 2.

Take a look at the links I provided and decide if would like to check out this marvelous cartoon. If you like “Courage the Cowardly Dog” or “Invader Zim”, or anything with a sort of disturbing humor, I’m sure you will love this cartoon. The entire series is available on Hulu.

Thanks for reading and toon in next time where I’ll tell you what I think about “The Fairly OddParents. “