Top 5 Artists to See at ACL Festival 2015

Runthejewels1 by timothy saccenti

1. Run the Jewels

Friday, 5 p.m., Miller Light stage

“I beat you to a pulp, no fiction/ Tarantino flow, new Jules (Jewels) and Vincent.” When not smashing in your ear drums with earthquake triggering beats or stabbing you with the sharpest political rantings this side of Rage Against the Machine, the duo of rappers Killer Mike and El-P that make up Run the Jewels blow out the rest of the competition, rap or otherwise. Having toured extensively over the past year for their second album “Run the Jewels 2,” the duo has proven both powerful and enlightening – two distinct rapping styles going toe-to-toe against each other in the spirit of love and competition. Even while tackling topics like police brutality and government surveillance, the duo is more than willing to tell you how much better they are than your average rappers.

2. Father John Misty

Saturday, 2:20 p.m., Honda stage

The tale is as old as time: man falls in love, man feels weird about falling in love, man writes album about falling in love. Josh Tillman, the titular “father” of Father John Misty, created his newest album, “I Love You, Honeybear,” after falling in love with his wife, Emma, in the hopes of tackling the vulnerable nature of intimacy and sincerity. Tillman’s stage presence shows him parading his insecurities regarding love, life and the American dream across a mix of dramatic ballads and sarcastic sing-alongs like “Nothing Good Ever Happens at the Goddamn Thirsty Crow,” with some interpretive dance in case you weren’t sold already.

3. Brand New

Friday, 5 p.m., HomeAway stage

Fifteen years after their arrival on the emo scene, the name Brand New hasn’t been apt for some time, though they’ve kept themselves busy by releasing classic albums like “Deja Entendu” in 2003 and “The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me” in 2006. Their last album, “Daisy,” was released in 2009, and with nary a song to their name in six years, the band has been silent for some time. To say that people are anxious to see this rare rock band bring out their wealth of classic teenage anthems about growing old, anxiety and relationship difficulties would be an understatement.

4. Leon Bridges

Friday, 4 p.m., Honda stage

You can dance, mosh, sing and shout all you want at Zilker Park this weekend, but eventually your body and mind will need nourishment. How about some classic soul by way of Fort Worth’s own Leon Bridges? The 25-year-old’s golden pipes not only resemble that of soul legends Sam Cooke and Otis Redding, but are smooth enough to get even your mama to sway her hips. Songs like “Brown Skinned Girl” will make you eager to fall in love with the random stranger next to you in the crowd, and hit single “Better Man” will take his fans all the way to Sunday morning church, even on a Friday.