GLBTQ: policies and politics at UTSA

GLBTQ

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer group at UTSA has not let Chick-fil-A’s charitable practices go unnoticed. This past July the GLBTQ wanted to protest against Chick-fil-A for their donations to anti-gay organizations. July marked a tipping point when Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy, spoke out explicitly against homosexuality and for “the biblical family.”

The GLBTQ then decided to protest outside of the Chick-fil-A in the JPL cafeteria. When they contacted UTSA’s Inclusion and Community Engagement Center to seek advice about how to conduct the protest, the group was informed that they were not allowed to protest due to Section 202.A of the UTSA Student Code of Conduct. However, former member Daniel Crotty says that the section was misunderstood and that GLBTQ could in fact hold a protest outside the Chick-fil-A. Unfortunately, protests were limited to tabling and passing out informative flyers. By this time, two months had already passed and, as the Political Committee Co-Chair of the GLTBQ Sean Goerner says, “it’s not exactly a priority anymore for the GLTBQ. Over the summer, due to the stock drop that Chick-fil-A experienced, awareness about their practices became more widespread.”

Problems that emerged with their attempts to protest Chick-fil-A have not kept the GLBTQ from their political activism. Currently, the group is concentrating on what they believe to be more proactive means of spreading their message, such setting up a booth on campus to pass out information about candidates in the 2012 election.