Around town

After an unexpected long winter and very short spring, summer has finally arrived. There is no better time to enjoy the outdoor attractions San Antonio has to offer.

Of course, you can find the typical, Sea World and Fiesta Texas, but why not step outside of the box and spend your days doing something a little more creative?

Take a stop on your path to peace and get in touch with your spirituality by visiting San Antonio Museum of Art’s newest contemporary exhibition, “The Missing Peace.” This touring attraction includes works by over 80 artists from across the world, who have created pieces based on their perspective of the meaning of peace and the Dalai Lama’s endeavors.

The title is a play on words, considering we are living in a world that is anything but peaceful, but the Dalai Lama believes that “dedicating oneself to peace is anything but pointless.”

This exhibit has traveled to major cities from Los Angeles to New York and will visit the San Antonio Museum of Art through July 31.

The Pearl Brewery is the newest venue in the downtown area. Daily, citizens of San Antonio and tourists from all locations can enjoy the many offerings of the Pearl Brewery—from dining at Sandbar Fish House and Market, to shopping at the Farmer’s Market every Saturday and Wednesday.

Foodies can also enjoy delicious meals and tastings from the up-and-coming chefs of the Culinary Institute of America right next door.

Since the amphitheatre was built, you can now visit the brewery for live music and entertainment as well as an occasional movie on the lawn in the Pearl Park.

Brackenridge Park is one of the city’s largest parks that offer more activities to fit into any one day. Located in the heart of San Antonio near downtown, Brackenridge sits in the middle of just about everything. At 343 acres, the park enables families to choose from a vast floral display in the Japanese Tea Gardens or view some of the world’s endangered species at the San Antonio Zoo, while having the option for picnics, pedal boating or fishing right in the park itself.

You can also enjoy athletic fields, playgrounds, concessions and even a miniature railway to help you travel through the park.

Whether you find yourself wanting to sightsee nature’s beauty or find yourself hungry for treats, the summer season in San Antonio has a variety of activities to choose from. Aside from making the traditional outing to Fiesta Texas or the lakes to tube, see what traditional San Antonio has to offer.