Rock band Nonpoint cultivates a darker, richer sound

Returning from an extensive tour, rock-band Nonpointfinally went back into the studio and recorded their fourth album,”Recoil.” 

This time around, their sound appears to be slightlyadjusted, routed more towards a darker, richer form of rock. Although they deviate  from the nu-metal roots, theiraggression and brutality remain intact

Nonpoint’s lyrics are primarily driven bypain, frustration, and self-contentment.  Not particularly newtopics to the genre, but the music emulates the subjectswell. 

The album features  aggressive cuts, such as”Side with the Guns,” and softer, more serene effortssuch  as “Wait.” 

In terms of musicianship, the guitar and bass riffsaren’t exactly groundbreaking, but, at the very least, theyare solid when mixed in with the rest of the music. 

Elias Soriano’s vocals are often clear andmelodic and with the guitar work slightly lacking, he seems to bethe source of emotion in each song. Soriano does scream out themelodies every so often, but his harsher vocal lines come off weakmost of the time, particularly in the second track, “TheTruth.””

Fortunately, the percussion on “Recoil” is excellent.  Virtually every song on the record has anenergy level appropriate for each  song. 

Drummer Robb Rivera is easily the strongest presenceon” Recoil,” and is the driving force behind songs suchas, “Peace of Mind” and the opening song, “The Same.”

For the most part, “Recoil” is a fairlydecent album.  It doesn’t have an extensive amount ofdepth compared to other modern bands, but it should be an enjoyableexperience for the casual listener. Nonpoint fans will most likelynot be disappointed. 

The biggest problem with “Recoil” liesin its style.  The music isn’t catchy enough to appealto those into mainstream rock, and the pure-blood metal fans areoften overly critical of this genre.

For those who are open-minded and have a certain level of patience, Recoil will be worth every cent.