Art in the Window

Storefront gallery

Public Art San Antonio (PASA) recently launched a new downtown collaborative public art exhibit entitled “Downtown Storefronts.” For the exhibit, local artists set up installations in vacant storefronts around downtown in an effort to rejuvenate the empty properties. Local artists featured in the initial series include: Jessica Ramirez, Cathy Cunningham-Little, Thomas Cummins, Mat Kubo, Kyle Olson and Clay McClure.

Artist Cathy Cunningham-Little is a full-time studio artist is proficient in working in glass creations from stained to neon. She has studied with glass artists such as Dale Chihuly, who has a glass sculpture located in San Antonio’s downtown Central Library.

Matt Kubo, a current graduate student here at UTSA is another local artist participating in the storefront installations. Kubo cuts out negative space on wood panels to create an image that emphasizes the beauty of everyday people.

The “Downtown Storefront” exhibits promote the availability of public art in San Antonio, and are a step towards supporting local artists while brightening up our community.

These storefront installations can be found along Houston and Commerce streets downtown. PASA is currently in the process of identifying potential properties for upcoming installations.