Students use raw talents to express themselves

A person’s raw passion can transform an ordinary object into something extraordinary. Creativity can shape current technologies and future innovations.

Students at UTSA often use art as a form of recreation. On a dull Saturday night few things are as rewarding as jamming to a favorite musician’s tunes before eating a hot meal.

“Guitar playing, cooking and drawing make me feel a sense of accomplishment; it helps me relax and feel badass,” sophomore geology major Carlos Elizondo said. “I like to play heavy metal and rock−music in general−and I love to make Italian and Mexican Food.”

Some students seek fame through their creative expression and to consolidate their inner emotions.

“For me, composing music has less to do with expressing a specific thought or feeling and more to do with flushing out my mental and emotional toxins,” senior psychology major Reid Cook said. “It’s a lot like therapy.”

Those interested in photography and graphic design attempt to freeze a moment in time for others to experience.

“I often express myself through words, and the pictures help me capture the moment,” sophomore electrical engineering major Robert Zubiat said.

“I was working at Home Depot and I saw the Social Network, movie which inspired me to create Easy Paste, a toothpaste filled tooth brush container,” senior communication major Andy Hernandez said. Some students also use their creative talents to design jewelry and some design furniture that serves a useful purpose.

“I’ve welded horseshoe towel racks, horseshoe crosses and other objects that reflect my personal interests,” senior construction science and management major Katelen Stehling said.

Sometimes art can be intensely personal; sometimes it may manifest itself as entertainment. There may never be a clear-cut definition as to what artistic expression truly represents. The answer seems to depend on the individual.

“I feel that when the person injects something personal −whether it’s a belief or stance on war, sex or politics−it becomes more individualistic and gives way to a new layer of sincerity,” drawing and painting lecturer Gerardo Cabrera said.