Valentine’s mix tape

Whether you plan to spend Valentine’s Day with a rosy-cheeked lover or a melting carton of ice cream, this playlist has something for you. This V-Day mix tape can act as the ambient blanket to cuddling with your valentine, or the shoulder to drench in your tears.

– Loves me –

“The Luckiest” – Ben Folds

Folds ditches his satirical, quirky persona for his song, “The Luckiest,” a unique ballad about love, companionship and memory. His artistry creates a genuine love sonnet in this moving song. Whether you have an old Valentine or a new one, this song is bound to hit home for most.

“Wedding Song” – Bob Dylan

Songwriter and poet Bob Dylan does it once again with this simple and honest love song. Dylan’s truthful quality of sound comes through as a confession of love. This song is altruistic, timeless and worth five minutes of your day.

“I Can’t Stop Loving You” – Ray Charles

The title says it all. Though the song is actually about love and loss, the swooning, romantic harmonies of Ray’s orchestra alongside his voice perfectly fit the mood of Valentine’s Day. This classic, sweet song will make you want to rent a romantic movie and curl up at home with your Valentine.

“All For You” – Keith Urban

It’s hard to deny how adorable this song is. Unlike his past albums, “Get Closer” brings a more personal and intimate touch to Urban’s repertoire as it was inspired by his wife, Nicole Kidman. This heartfelt song can bring a tear or two to the hardest of hearts.

“Dream a Little Dream of Me” – Cass Elliot

This uncomplicated, sweet song should be on everyone’s Valentine’s mix tape for that special someone. Originally written and performed by Ozzie Nelson and his orchestra, Cass Elliot of the Mamas and the Papas brings a 1960s twist to this classic love song. Elliot’s enchanting voice does justice to this simple melody.

“Julia” – the Beatles

Though it’s tough to choose just one love song by the Beatles, “Julia” is definitely at the top of the charts. This simple “song of love” was written by John Lennon for his mother, Julia, who died at the hands of a drunk driver when Lennon was only seventeen. This song carries great depth and is a perfect way to express love to all the special people in your life.

“No One” Alicia Keys

This is a beautiful melody with powerful lyrics that illuminates the bond between two people, and it emphasizes that there are certain people in a person’s life that are not interchangeable.

– Loves me not –

“Your Ex-Lover is Dead” – Stars

Let go of old hurt, and move on to brighter things and hotter people with Stars’ song “Your Ex-Lover is Dead.” Amy Millan and Torquil Campbell entrance listeners with the help of soft stringed and woodwind instruments and puts the memory of an ex-lover to rest.

“Everything I Once Had” – The Honorary Title

This is a song where a man loses his lover on Valentine’s Day. Basically, it’s a lyrical and beautiful pity party that the recently heartbroken can easily find solace in.

“Roses and Butterflies” – Making April

April’s poetic lyrics laced with delicate notes on the piano make “Roses and Butterflies” a song to sing deep into a lonely Valentine’s night. The lyrics sing the strong and familiar tune of pushing away feelings for an undeserving lover and learning to overcome them.

“Song for the Dumped” – Ben Folds Five

This song is not for those who cry over broken relationships, but maybe for those who want to get angry and throw something instead.

“F**k Was I” – Jenny Owen Youngs

Six simple words: “What the f**k was I thinking?” Jenny Owen Young’s lyrics stare smitten stupidity in the face.

“Love Alone” – Miss A

This is for those who are “talking to someone,” but still don’t have a Valentine’s date. Miss A is a girl power group reminiscent of the Spice Girls. Relationships are meant to be equal. If it’s not, then the girls of Miss A want out and so should anyone else in that situation. This is a song for the chasers, not the chased.

“All Hail the Dead” – Walls of Jericho

This song has absolutely nothing to do with love, but it’s on this list because a lot of people don’t want to think about relationships at all on Valentine’s Day, and they sure as hell don’t want to be sad. This is the song for those who want to yell, not wallow.