Suits or sweats – a college student’s dilemma

Graphic by Tristan Ipock

Do you know what the biggest struggle for college students is? Getting out of bed on a Monday morning to start a busy day filled with assignments, lectures, and exams. Despite the fact we already have so much to worry about, getting dressed for class is another thing to add to our to-do lists. Many college students wake up and throw on the first piece of seemingly clean clothing off their bedroom floors. Meanwhile, another student wakes up hours before his or her class to look their best for anthropology class. The ongoing debate happening around campus is should students dress up or down for class?

In my opinion, students should dress according to their moods. Not everyone has the time or the energy to be dressing up every single day for class. People need to take into consideration that many college students are full-time, working individuals who are also involved in extracurricular activities and organizations. The last thing on our minds is our appearance for a class filled with other sleep-deprived college students who probably are not paying attention to what we are wearing. If you can rock the long, baggy shirts and sweatpants look, then wear it with confidence and pride.  You should feel proud for being such a trendy person, considering you are styling the college student look.

As for those students who do take the time to dress up, well, great for you! You took a little bit more time out of your day to look presentable for your classmates. I admire those students who dress up because I love seeing individuals express their personalities through their styles. Your image is a reflection of who you are as a person. Seeing people put thought and effort into their outfits makes me happy because they are expressing who they are.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what you wear but how you wear it. As college students attending a top-tier university, we are here for one primary reason—to learn new knowledge about our fields of study. All of us are just trying to get through these four years of torture with good grades, not a high fashion sense. The next time you get out of bed, remember to choose an outfit that’ll make you feel comfortable enough to get you through your busy day.