Public libraries for the win

Vincent Agquiz

Knowledge is both a powerful tool and a privilege to acquire. Resources, such as our local public libraries, provide us with the opportunity to indulge in an overabundance of knowledge and allow us to find answers to the unanswered. However, we often overlook the invaluable resources that these informational centers provide. Our public libraries, which we take for granted, have a vast number of resources aside from books, including videos, photographs and other technological resources. At a time when our world has been completely transformed by technology, has the nostalgia of public libraries or even physical books lost its charm, or do they still maintain relevance in our world today?

According to the WordsRated website, our public libraries are financed by local, state and federal government funding, while the rest comes from donations, fees and grants. Within recent years, the site has stated that “US public libraries received $14.61 billion in funding for 2020, which is 2.07% more than in 2019. This, however, was the smallest annual increase in library funding since 2013.” Although it is substantial that our libraries have seen growth within the funding they receive, with the various benefits and positive connotations that surround them, these institutions deserve more than just a 2.07% increase.

Book lovers and readers alike know the costly damage that hinders our wallets when purchasing a simple physical book. Although individuals can buy online versions of books at a cheaper rate, devices — such as phones, laptops and e-readers like Kindles — are insanely expensive as well. Those who are underprivileged or financially struggling may not have the resources to purchase a book that averages $14 to $18. This is where our public libraries are our best friends and provide us with the pleasure of reading our favorite books or providing other useful resources free of charge.

University students already paying thousands in tuition alone can also find solace in their public or academic libraries. These institutes allow students to easily rent or use textbooks, additional readings and other items like computers, cameras, etc. With the insane amount that university students pay, taking advantage of the free and beneficial resources provided to us is important.

Organizations such as the Texas Library Association (TLA) are working hard to ensure that appropriate federal funding is being provided to our local libraries. According to their website, “The library community is advocating for funding of at least $209 million for LSTA for the FY2022 budget. This is a slight increase over FY2021 funding levels. We are also asking for $50 million to fund Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) grants. These grants are administered by the federal Department of Education and provide age-appropriate books, parental engagement programs and professional development for library experts to ensure children are best positioned for success.”

As National Library Week, which is celebrated from April 7 to 13, comes to an end, we should recognize and appreciate all the benefits that our public libraries provide. Although their popularity has dwindled due to the surging growth of technology, libraries have been around for decades and still serve as a prime hub for learning and academics.