We’re Taking Most Of It

Graphic by Chase Otero
Graphic by Chase Otero

The New California group is pushing for the formation of the 51st state, but the push is destined to fail. This is not the first time Californians organized to secede. The group instigating the split wants to do it by the books like West Virginia in accordance to article 4 section 3, which states that new states cannot be formed within existing states without the consent of the state’s legislatures and approval from the Federal Congress.

New California would be comprised of 42 counties, claiming most of the land in current California. These 42 counties are included in the split due to California’s “ungovernable nature,” raising tax rates and unsatisfactory education. The group has already unveiled their Declaration of Independence but will not be ready to present a secession plan to the state legislator for ten to eighteen months, then they will be able to begin proposing the idea to Congress.

I don’t believe that the group will pass this law. State secessions often are fringe movements that flop. Take Texas for example, time and time again fringe groups promoted a secession from the U.S. The call for action only accomplished a good laugh. The California group has received even less support than the Texas movements. The group is small but has found some support from billionaire Timothy C. Draper who has financed some of the groups efforts in support of the cause.

The change could result in many benefits for the state, one being that the state could better allocate money to improving the education system in the state since they rank 10th to last in the nation. Lowering the taxes would bring the cost of living down considerably, giving people the opportunity to direct their funds elsewhere and by doing so fueling their economy. The split would also result in the formations of a red and blue state which would give more people a voice, especially since many people are already unsatisfied with the current governments decisions.

There are many people who are unsatisfied with how the government has been operating in California, but it isn’t near enough to create a new state.