New shuttle services

UTSA shuttles parked in Brakenridge Parking Lot 1. Ricky Galindo/The Paisano

The Runner available to transport students between campuses

Beginning in Fall 2018, UTSA will begin providing additional shuttle services for students.

“UTSA recognizes the needs of its growing student population and is exploring a number of options including providing pilot shuttle services to and from the downtown campus,” said Burt Reynolds, director of services in UTSA Campus Services. “Plans include daily shuttles leaving the main campus each morning and returning later in the afternoon to accommodate freshmen students signing up for the class blocks at the downtown campus.”

Jacklyn Aleman, a senior communication major, feels the shuttle between campuses is a service that is long overdue. “It’s really great that they are finally getting a shuttle that benefits students to get them to their classes and back to campus.”

The new shuttle accommodation is expected to improve the services already available to students. 

There are currently three main ways students can travel between the two campuses: driving themselves, riding routes 93 and 94 on the VIA bus or carpooling with other students. 

Students who choose to drive between the two campuses must have the appropriate UTSA parking pass which they can purchase online. Those who ride the VIA bus may obtain semester passes through the Roadrunner Express and students wanting to carpool may use the Alamo Area Council of Government’s rideshare tool. The rideshare tool allows students to find carpool friends or register a carpool with UTSA Campus Services. 

According to Reynolds, the shuttle accommodation is not expected to dissolve any of the resources currently available to students. 

Melanie Foster, a senior biomedical engineer, thinks this accommodation is great for students who have to take classes at the downtown campus. “They shouldn’t have to be penalized for having a major which is located at a different campus, and we already pay transportation fees anyway, so we might as well have a shuttle there.“

Even though students have transportation services between the main campus and downtown campus available to them, this shuttle accommodation is an additional service to students and mirrors President Eighmy’s Downtown Campus Initiative.

“UTSA has ambitious plans to take full advantage of the excellent resources and location of the downtown campus as it advances its mission as an urban-serving university,” Reynolds said. 

“Shuttle service is one of many considerations being evaluated as the university moves forward with its vision.”